Dead Can Dance

DeathBlade

Aug 15, 2003
Chicago
I finally decided to check out this band that so many metal bands recomend, hail, or what not. I am really happy I did and am very happy with this band so far. Any one have any favorites of theirs? Any recomendations about bands like them? Also, one quicky question, though I usually hate classifying bands becasue it will imply to many stereotypes, it does kinda say a bit about the bands influences and philosophy (if any). So, what genre are they?

Definitely one of my favourite bands, I've spent way too much cash on them, heh. The first DCD album I bought was Into The Labyrinth and I still probably listen to that one most often, but my other favourite is the live album Toward The Within. The DVD of that is also stellar.

They're kinda difficult to categorise, but I suppose the earlier stuff was (arguably...) ethereal gothy kinda music, and the later stuff is mainly influenced by different kinds of world music (Middle Eastern, Celtic, Middle Ages European, South American).

As for similar bands I'm really not too sure who else sounds like them, but you might like to check out Lisa Gerrard and/or Brendan Perry's solo CDs. :D

I have six CDs of theirs in my collection so far, having been listening to them for many a year, my faves probably being "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun" and "Into the Labyrinth". As AshDLS indicated, Lisa Gerrard's "The Mirror Pool" is highly recommended as well, as is her "Duality" album with Pieter Bourke.
DCD is a class apart, for sure.

One band i can think of with similarities to dead can dance, is Todesbonden. They combine the gothic/medieval sounds that can be heard in DCD with doom metal, resulting in music that is both beautiful and haunting. They have really great vocals too. They're currently in the process of recording their first full album.

There are samples on the official website and on myspace aswell, if you want to check them out.

Just started getting into their music as well. Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is quite possibly the most beautiful music I've ever heard. On a friends recommendation, I am awaiting Toward the Within. a "live" record they did in Santa Monica in 1994.

BloodSword said:
Within the Realm of a Dying Sun is quite possibly the most beautiful music I've ever heard.
It sounds even better if you don't play any other albums at the same time, BloodSword. :p
(Little joke relating to the Novembers Doom forum, hehe.)