Dead Soul Tribe "A Murder of Crows"

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
www.deadsoultribe.com

Once I heard that Dead Soul Tribe was putting out a new album this year, I went nuts. I ordered it on the day it came out, but I didnt recieve it until a week later.

Anyway, onto my thoughts!

Heavier = better?

Production - Excellent! One of the best produced records this year. I could hear every instrument clearly and the effects were used very tastefully.

Lyrics - Outstanding. Buddy Lackey (or Devon Graves rather) has always had an incredible knack for writing great lyrics using metaphors and imagry. Very deep stuff, I need to show these to my friends dad to help me determine what they all mean. Check them out at the website when you get the chance.

Artwork/layout - Travis Smith. Need I say more?

Drums - Mustafa has grown as a drummer in technicality sounding similar to Danny Carey from Tool. I do believe he could have used his talents better by showing a little bit more taste in his drum fills and double bass.

Guitars - mostly a minimalist approach with some cool riffs here and there. I dont think there is a need for 2 guitarists in the band.

Bass - I can HEAR it! It sounds pretty good to me too.

Vocals - Buddy always comes up with awesome melody lines, but in this one some just felt stagnant and forced. Most of the melodies are used more than once on the album. I would also have liked to have heard more of Buddy's range on this album like he portrays in the song "Stone by Stone" (which is the best and most brilliant imo)

Sound/feel - Well I must say it is heavier than the s/t, but does that make it better? I personally do not think so. Comparing this album to the last album, while similar, are completely different. On the first one Devon sounded very pained and it eminated emotion through the music, lyrics and vocal delivery. This album has a colder and less personal feel to it. The vocals are sometimes just plodding by and the lack of use of range got on my nerves a little, because it could be so much better.

While I do believe this is a great album, it just is not as good as the first one.

Album Highlights (all songs are strong but these are my favs):
Stone by Stone
In a Garden Made of Stones
Some Things You Can't Return
Regret (I think its about the cult a few years back who killed themselves to be taken away by the spaceship behind the sun)
Crows on the Wire

this is my first listen to them. ive only heard bits and pieces here and there so far, so not really enough to get a proper evaluation. they seem ok, i didnt find them very technical or anything, thats ok though. i need to hear more. at least its not death or black vocals, so thats a thumbs up right there.

SilentRealm said:
this is my first listen to them. ive only heard bits and pieces here and there so far, so not really enough to get a proper evaluation. they seem ok, i didnt find them very technical or anything, thats ok though. i need to hear more. at least its not death or black vocals, so thats a thumbs up right there.

Death/black vocals own you. :loco::loco::loco::loco::loco: ... hehe:wave:

I disagree. I think it's WAY more coherent than the first album. Although that had a litte more diversity in sounds on it. This has more of an overall 'heavy' approach to it. But it is some sort of a concept album. And I really love it a lot. I've always loved Buddy/Devons voice so you can imagine I'm in heaven at the moment. I totally disagree about the 'more distant feel' thing, Listen to 'Time' or 'Crows on the wire' for instance. The vocals just draw you in. It's really definetely in my top three at the moment!

I love the album! I don't have the first one... so I can't compare... but this album is very cool and creepy... I had it playing while I fell asleep last night... and I had some hideous nightmares to the song "Flies"...

My favorite songs are the "Feed" duo... "I'm Not Waving" and the flute-dominated closer.

I'm not waving is my fave as well...that intro alone...and then when the vocals kick in...whew! He somehow manages to make a deadly message sound like something joyfull...goosebumps!

Plus it inspired me to go on a lyric writing spree, something that has really been a while ago! I even managed a 'trilogy' !