www.myspace.con
variousart_uncorrupt2.jpg

http://www.deadtide.com/reviews/albums/page.php?review_id=1197
Various Artists
Uncorrupted Steel 2

Metal Blade
spacer.gif

divider_dotted_01x20.gif

“Uncorrupted Steel 2” is a sampling of what Metal Blade has to offer, a compilation of seventeen different songs from seventeen different bands signed to the label. Some tracks are previously unreleased, but for the most part are culled from each respective group’s most recent release. Like most compilations, the quality of the material present runs the gamut, from atrocious to excellent. In an attempt to underscore which tracks are good, which are mediocre, and which suck, I’m going to separate the songs into three categories: the good (definitely worth a listen), the bad (mediocre or worse), and the ugly (Six Feet Under).

The Good:

The Black Dahlia Murder appears with the track “Contagion” from their latest album, “Unhallowed.” It is top-notch melodic death/thrash with an original spin, plenty of interesting guitar work and high speed drumming, and good production.

As I Lay Dying were a surprise, especially since, judging from their album title (“Frail Words Collapse”) and song name (“Forever”), I was expecting some sort of weak, emo-inflected material. Surprisingly, they play some really awesome melodic metal/hardcore, though the clean vocals they employ sound very out of place.

Vehemence attacks with a new demo track, “Kill for God,” which sounds like a mix between “Heartwork”-era Carcass, Swedish melodic death, and American brutal death, and just generally kicks ass.

Amon Amarth’s “Death in Fire” is one of the better tracks from their excellent “Versus the World” album.

Likewise, God Dethroned appear with “The Warcult,” a great song from their latest, “Into the Lungs of Hell.”

Beyond the Embrace contributes “Bastard Screams,” a track characteristic of the Massachusetts-based melodic death metal band.

Dies Irae’s “Incarnation of Evil” is a thrashing death metal song that, while not all that original, is at the very least a good listen.

Vader’s “Epitaph” was one of my favorite songs from “Revelations,” their most recent album. If you haven’t heard it yet, you’re missing out.

Finally, Engine’s “Losing Ground” is a cool stoner rock track with a catchy chorus; the fact that it’s here, alongside Vader and Amon Amarth, should speak for itself.

So, nine of the seventeen tracks are impressive, to say the least, and that’s really not a half bad ratio for this kind of compilation.

The Bad: The weaker tracks on the compilation are not necessarily bad, in the classic sense. Rather, they just can’t stand up to the aforementioned songs in quality or energy.

The potency of Cattle Decapitation’s death/grind assault is tempered by muddy production [I believe this was an unreleased demo track. ~ Editor], and they should get someone more capable to handle their higher pitched growls; this guy just isn’t cutting it.

The Heavils are some sort of punk/garage rock; they don’t quite fit in on this comp, and they fail to impress with their rather unoriginal, boring “Falling Apart.”

DBX’s “Damn that Money” is another punk track, but with a more fun spirit. While not really my thing, this sounds like it could really appeal to anyone who doesn’t require intelligence/seriousness in their musical tastes, as it offers some humor in its simplicity and in the vocal deliver DBX has chosen to utilize.

40 Grit sounds like nu-metal in the vein of Puddle of Mud... no thanks.

Tourniquet’s “Restoring the Locust Years” is decent, but a little repetitive and just not as good as those tracks contained in the section above.

American death metal stalwarts Cannibal Corpse’s live rendition of “Born in a Casket” is a cluttered sounding version of a fairly good song.

Brainstorm is power metal, and to be fair, it’s not all that bad; there's some cool melodies, it’s got some balls, and the vocals are tolerable. However, it’s power metal, some cheese is present and it really stands no chance against the likes of Amon Amarth and God Dethroned.

The Ugly:

Maybe you thought I was only kidding with my description of this section; if so, you were wrong. Six Feet Under, if you can believe it, have actually gotten even worse. Calling “Amerika the Brutal” the worst track on “Uncorrupted Steel 2” doesn’t do it justice. The lyrics are idiocy incarnate; Chris Barnes, the man responsible for nearly ruining Cannibal Corpse’s earlier albums with inept vocal delivery, proves that his popularity truly is a fluke, as his growls sound weak and unconvincing; the riffs are so simple it makes me sick, and the same goes for the drumming. I, for one, cannot understand how this band still exists and keeps recording new material.

"Uncorrupted Steel 2" is a good way to hear the best and worst of Metal Blade and, depending on the price (I'm not sure how much this costs in stores), it could be a wise investment as you'll doubtlessly discover at least one good band you've never heard of before. Tom Bransfield
spacer.gif

divider_dotted_01x20.gif
spacer.gif

Standout Tracks

Black Dahlia Murder “Contagion”
Amon Amarth “Death in Fire”
God Dethroned “The Warcult”
Vader “Epitaph”

Fuck that, I still think Chris Barnes is fucking brilliant and an innovator. Granted this band plays simpler music, but it's not like Obituary was the most technical shit ever and they kicked ass undeniably. Barnes is a rhythmic vocalist and still possesses a great deal of validity in brutal death metal. Plus the younger generation needs a bridge to appreciate the more technical bands. You don't just go from Metallica to Cryptopsy or Deeds of Flesh.....

herjesus said:
Fuck that, I still think Chris Barnes is fucking brilliant and an innovator. Granted this band plays simpler music, but it's not like Obituary was the most technical shit ever and they kicked ass undeniably. Barnes is a rhythmic vocalist and still possesses a great deal of validity in brutal death metal. Plus the younger generation needs a bridge to appreciate the more technical bands. You don't just go from Metallica to Cryptopsy or Deeds of Flesh.....

About 2 years ago I went from Metallica straight to Morbid Angel and thought they were pretty cool... does that count? :Spin: