Death - Lyrics

sonalised

New Metal Member
Dec 12, 2003
What do you like about Death (Chuck) lyrics? What are your fav. ones and why?

And what do you think of the band itself?

I think alot of the lyrics are really cool, and I love Death as a band. As for fav lyrics I gotta say "Spirit Crusher", "The Philosopher" and "Flesh And The Power It Holds". The chorus of "Spirit Crusher" is just so brilliant.

You know I rarely ever bother with the lyrics to any metal band. Its the music that interests me, the lyrics are almost meaningless. The lyrics could be about rainbow colored elephants playing shuffleboard in a retirement home, and i wouldnt care, as long as the music was good.

Hahaha! lmfao... yeh man. From my side, I do take notice in the lyrics... I liek to know what they are about, what the person who wrote the lyrics is trying to say... I don't reject them fromthe music. And besides, after all when you listn to music... you do (well, I do personally) kinda get into it and start playing air guitar and/ror drums etc. and you want to follow the words too!... :)

One when listening to extreme metal, is forced to concern oneself with the vocal delivery and voice of a extreme metal singer, rather than concern oneself with the lyrics that are impossible to be deciphered by the human ear.

The lyrics are more or less a written afterthought; or even a essay on the musical content and expression of the ideas behind each song.

Im trying to improve upon the anus.com style here- how am i doing?

Yeah I generally don't pay attention to lyrics, but when you take the time to read them you can find cool shit. Death has had some awsome lyrics from Spiritual Healing and beyond. I'm not one for Gore lyrics, they can be amusing at times but it just gets fucking old. Most shit from Individual Thought Patterns is pretty killer, lyrics-wise. Scavenger Of Human Sorrow also has good lyrics.

speed said:
One when listening to extreme metal, is forced to concern oneself with the vocal delivery and voice of a extreme metal singer, rather than concern oneself with the lyrics that are impossible to be deciphered by the human ear.

The lyrics are more or less a written afterthought; or even a essay on the musical content and expression of the ideas behind each song.

Im trying to improve upon the anus.com style here- how am i doing?
I find it is the indecipherability that makes knowing the lyrics more appealing. It takes all the 'catchiness' away from the vocals, and in turn makes the lyrics less of a coincidental and subordinate musical knowledge, as opposed to pop music, where people know all the lyrics by heart whether they're worth anything or whether the people who know them even care to know them.

As for the written afterthought comment, that depends on the songwriter. I've always written lyrics before I even conceive of what the music is going to be like, and i'd never write otherwise. As a listener, the lyrics are important to me but not overridingly so (obviously i'm not going to listen to awful music because I think the lyrics are great), but as a songwriter the lyrics are my priority, because for someone who cares about lyrics as an effective vehicle for meaning, it is an important part of the 'spirit' of the music itself. They basically allow a songwriter to tell an entirely different kind of story (specific as opposed to phenomenological) from the music, and someone who pairs them specifically is far more accomplished than someone who doesn't co-ordinate the two at all.

As for Death, there's a lot of lyrics I like, but there's also a lot of pretentious and overtly biased junk, which corrupts the feel of a lot of the music for me.

Sculpted, I agree with your last comment. While Chuck had a lot of good views on many things and brought up many wonderful thoughts with his lyrics, sometimes he just sounded a little pretentious.

SculptedCold said:
I find it is the indecipherability that makes knowing the lyrics more appealing. It takes all the 'catchiness' away from the vocals, and in turn makes the lyrics less of a coincidental and subordinate musical knowledge, as opposed to pop music, where people know all the lyrics by heart whether they're worth anything or whether the people who know them even care to know them.

I very much agree with this.

Death is my favorite band. I've gotta say that although the lyrics mean less to me than the music, they can really get to me sometimes. "The Philosopher," "Empty Words," and "1000 Eyes" seem to do that very well. I tend to look at lyrics as independent from the song, however. I derive more satisfaction from them when I examine them as something such as poetry and don't even associate them with music.

sonalised said:
Hahaha! lmfao... yeh man. From my side, I do take notice in the lyrics... I liek to know what they are about, what the person who wrote the lyrics is trying to say... I don't reject them fromthe music. And besides, after all when you listn to music... you do (well, I do personally) kinda get into it and start playing air guitar and/ror drums etc. and you want to follow the words too!... :)

Agreed completely. I don't notice lyrics unless they help a band. You'll notice that in my reviews, I only add points for GOOD lyrics, I don't take them away for negative/bad ones.