Soulfly are a Death Metal band

Profanity

The Post Master
Jul 3, 2003
Manchester, England, UK
They are everything Death Metal is about Nihilistic lyrics and music and growling vocals.

I think it's Brazilian tribal Death Metal-tribal music which is mixed with heavy guitars to hammer out a Nihilistic flavour.

The Lyrics are about Death and against order and they are growled by Max Cavalera who is the best growler IMO.

What do you think?

Profånity said:
They are everything Death Metal is about Nihilistic lyrics and music and growling vocals.

I think it's Brazilian tribal Death Metal-tribal music which is mixed with heavy guitars to hammer out a Nihilistic flavour.

The Lyrics are about Death and against order and they are growled by Max Cavalera who is the best growler IMO.

What do you think?

You=Dumbass

Soulfly is not Death Metal. The lyrics are mostly spiritual. I like Soulfly but they aren't Death Metal and they aren't Nihilistic.

:err:

Agreed with -Galaxy 500- but me thinks that the original poster is just goofing around, or at least I hope he is

That pic of Phil in your sig is whacked. :tickled: Funny but good!

Soulfly aren't death metal, though pre Chaos AD Sepultura could qualify as death metal IMO. You are right that Max has somewhat of a death metal growl, but musically Soulfly isn't death metal in any way.

Weapon X said:
:err:

Agreed with -Galaxy 500- but me thinks that the original poster is just goofing around, or at least I hope he is

That pic of Phil in your sig is whacked. :tickled: Funny but good!

That was during the Pantera "Power Metal" days haha.

Ah, more of Profanity and his pointless ramblings....

I'd suggest a) he reads some Soulfly lyrics, then b) looks up nihilism in a dictionary.

Failing that, how about c) shut up

Yes, Sepultura were just a thrash metal band but then they started adding Brazilian tribal music to their sound. I like some Soulfly songs but they are getting annoying. Cavalera's previous work in Sepultura is infinitely better than what he's doing in Soulfly. Everyone seems to slag off the newer Sepultura too but I just dont get that. I like how Green has some vocal range and they're not thrash metal exactly but they're doing something different. So the point I'm making is that the newer Sepultura isn't as good as before but they're still way better than Soulfly. Max Cavalera should do one of the following things:

1) Rejoin Sepultura again.
2) Start making thrash metal with Soulfly and just quit the nu-metal.
3) Quit music.

I rather like Soulfly myself, not as good as max's other bands by far. Sepultura and Nailbomb are so so much better.

The Primitive album is good, but only if one does not want to hear "pure" metal. It's good if you like an album with complete variety, almost like a mix album. That is done by the amount of guest appearances.

Terrorist is an awesome song. :D

Profånity said:
Death Metal or not they are the best Nu Metal band ever.

i dont think so. there are way better bands than them, even in nu metal. mudvayne has them topped. american head charge and mushroomhead is better as well. i dont see what soulfly accomplished or contributed to music that hadnt allready done before. well, i can think of one thing, max made dreadlocks popular again. lame
~gR~