Death Metal Mix... Anyone?

Aug 6, 2006
WOW. It's been a while since I've been on this board. But I'm back at writing and seeing what I can do as far as mixing my own music or seeing if anyone else might be interested is seeing how they do with my current work. I've attached my mix as an mp3 and link below to the wav and midi drums. No vocals at this time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko7ieydjh6l9yqv/Song Test.zip?dl=0

I'd love to hear what others come up with and maybe some feedback on my mix. I've just been watching YouTube videos on Metal mixing and testing my hand at it. I'd love to be able to do a good enough solid mix where I could release my own songs when finished.

Let me know...., thank you.

Attachments

• Test Song.mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
This sounded pretty good on my phones ear buds. I was excited and then got on my computer with my monitors and I had the total opposite reaction. I love the kick drums and the overall drums but somehow this got a boxy sound as well with my computer/monitors. It's much cleaner than my mix that's for sure. Hmmmmmmm……..

Thanks for sharing.

I tried a more modern approach.

Dude, it's called mids. People use mids now.

The general sound of your guitar is really scooped. So one has to counter this with a bit of mids.

I don't know your listening environment but I feel its not a true representation of what's going on.

Of course if you listen to your own mix, which is scooped like crazy and then listen to a mix that has mids its clear that you might think it sounds boxy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheIllusionist
Dude, it's called mids. People use mids now.

The general sound of your guitar is really scooped. So one has to counter this with a bit of mids.

I don't know your listening environment but I feel its not a true representation of what's going on.

Of course if you listen to your own mix, which is scooped like crazy and then listen to a mix that has mids its clear that you might think it sounds boxy.

LOL. Yes. I know what mids are. I have mids set at 5 on my amp sim, so I have some mids in my guitars. My whole mix seems scooped and really don’t know why. I didn’t remove any with EQ. Either way..... your mix sound pretty damn good on my ear buds. I’ve listened to the song a few times now. The drums are really phucking good. I love being able to actually hear the clicky kick during the blast beats. Mine is all muddy. But I’ve gone back to my studio setup and at normal volumes or a little louder it sounds very boxy and distorted. It’s almost like two different mixes. I listen to lots of music on the same computer so it’s not my setup. I’m don’t want you to think I’m not greatful for the mix as I very much am. I’m just giving my feedback as to what I hear.

Tempo? using a pretty decrepit DAW here
EDIT: nvm, tempo map imported incorrectly but i manually fixed it

drums probably a bit too high cus my comp's stereo image is too heavily biased to the panned tracks

Last edited:
Reactions: maddnotez
In general have the tracks provided been good enough to record an album with? Have anyone had to do much editing to the guitar/bass tracks? I've been told by someone else that I'm palm muting the beginning to much and I should NOT be trying to play the bass tracks right along with the guitars. I should be play the bass much slower, 8th notes on the bass.... Anyone with recommendations?

I just got back from vacation and he's a quick mix I did with more mids. I also removed anything I had in the master buss. I had a few EXMix plugins there. I also turned the mids up on the guitars to 6.5.

Last edited:
Yeh i'm still pretty new and bad at mixing drums so I can't really compete with lupus haha. I tried to shoot for more of a 2000s Brutal Death Metal vibe with the guitar tone (Severe Torture, Inveracity, ect).

I would say that it would be a bit better to have the bass playing 8th notes since that way they can be brought up in the mix without obscuring the guitars too much. Wanted to have a nice clanky tone and that would have made that easier. Also worth saying that the palm mutes sound a bit too choked for your rhythm playing, which kinda leads to either a lack of punch in the palm mutes or the rest being a bit too muddy to compensate.

Last edited:
Had another shot at it myself

EDIT: and another. Tried for a more pushed, modern tone on this one.

Last edited:
I really like the first one below, something about it rivals the second one. Nice and clean with some punch. I'm going to re-record the guitars and bass tracks (UGH) and will repost. Thank you so much for your time and effort.

Had another shot at it myself

EDIT: and another. Tried for a more pushed, modern tone on this one.

I have added a few vocals tracks to the download file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko7ieydjh6l9yqv/Song Test.zip?dl=0

Feel free to add them to the song if anyone likes. I'll re-record the guitar and bass in a day or two and try and get a better vocal performance as well.

Here is my personal "mix" with vocals so you can get an idea of what I'm going for. Unfortunately the vocals uploaded are not the same as played in this track that I feel are superior.

Last edited: