Death Metal Mix... Anyone?

I do like the scooped mid feel/tone to this. Maybe too much bass and the vocals seem to not much power compared to some of the other mixes.. This is a cool mix.

Glad you like the song in general. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend, record the remainder of the song. Ugh. Such a long writing process for me.

Hi,
I gave another shot : https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhte86tgqjnjglr/Bloodsoaked v2.mp3?dl=0
Tried to fix some things.

Again, thx for uploading this.
It's cool to hear death metal in this forum.

This is a bit off the mixing topic but still same song. I'd love feedback regarding the song. I have two versions below and not sure what one sounds more appealing to the listener. I have been stuck on the one with No Fills and then tried adding some fills to "fill" it out a bit. Any feedback would be appreciated.

This is a bit off the mixing topic but still same song. I'd love feedback regarding the song. I have two versions below and not sure what one sounds more appealing to the listener. I have been stuck on the one with No Fills and then tried adding some fills to "fill" it out a bit. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I prefer the fills tbh, its a subtle difference but it makes it more interesting. I would think about alternating the last fill though !

I prefer the "without" version, as the fills kind of break the start-stop thing IMO.
I think I'd prefer a version where the chords don't ring and stops with the drums.

(Kind of "off topic", but can I ask you what amp sim/IR do you use? Sounds cool)

Last edited:
Thanks for listening. I keep going back and forth myself on what I like better. Ugh

I just changed my guitar sim the other day so not 100% sure what one this is. For just about all my previous post in this tread anything from me was AmpliTube 4 and the Triple Rectifier. So this here for the fills or no fills is either AmpliTube 4 and the Triple Rectifier or EXMix and Tosin Rhythm 1 from the Guitar Gods 2 expansion pack. I really like the AmpliTube Triple Rec tone when played alone but when I add it to a mixed song it's a bit muddy. I would say that's more due to my lack of knowledge than the sim itself.

I prefer the "without" version, as the fills kind of break the start-stop thing IMO.
I think I'd prefer a version where the chords don't ring and stops with the drums.

(Kind of "off topic", but can I ask you what amp sim/IR do you use? Sounds cool)

Yes. Still trying to work out the details and to go with the fills at all. The fills here were just an example. Thank you for the feedback.

I prefer the fills tbh, its a subtle difference but it makes it more interesting. I would think about alternating the last fill though !

Thanks for listening. I keep going back and forth myself on what I like better. Ugh

I just changed my guitar sim the other day so not 100% sure what one this is. For just about all my previous post in this tread anything from me was AmpliTube 4 and the Triple Rectifier. So this here for the fills or no fills is either AmpliTube 4 and the Triple Rectifier or EXMix and Tosin Rhythm 1 from the Guitar Gods 2 expansion pack. I really like the AmpliTube Triple Rec tone when played alone but when I add it to a mixed song it's a bit muddy. I would say that's more due to my lack of knowledge than the sim itself.
Ok thanks, I'll check it.

As for muddiness, you can try to cut around 150-200 Hz in the bass track to tame the muddiness without changing your guitar tone.

Good luck for the writing process!

Here's my latest "mix" and finally a completed song. I think this one sounds a bit cleaner but maybe too thin? I don't know.

Do you feel this "mix" is releasable? Basically is this good enough to release online? I've released pro albums in the past and now just doing this for fun and no label involvement or help. I would love to be able to write and release (post online) songs anytime I like once completed. One a month, one ever few months, whatever.

There are some small edits to the tracks, I really have zero idea how to edit guitar/bass tracks to line them up a little better. I feel my playing is pretty tight but an edit would be nice and I'm sure help make it a bit cleaner...?

Anyone's thought are welcomed.

I've uploaded the tracks to the link below if anyone else would like to give there own new mix a try,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3kwcuwli5lfu2zl/AADDuUvQ-qTWs-3AArb5KDgZa?dl=0

Yeah, this mix is cleaner than your previous version, but the low end is missing a lot.
Guitars need more beef, snare too.

I'm terrible at editing tracks, and my DAW is not the best one to do it, so I can't help you.

I'll try to make a mix with the new track.

Yeah, this mix is cleaner than your previous version, but the low end is missing a lot.
Guitars need more beef, snare too.

I'm terrible at editing tracks, and my DAW is not the best one to do it, so I can't help you.

I'll try to make a mix with the new track.

I have a high pass filter on the guitars, maybe I need to back it off some? I’ve been learning what I can from YouTube but one says one thing and the next says another. But it’s getting better.

I have a high pass filter on the guitars, maybe I need to back it off some? I’ve been learning what I can from YouTube but one says one thing and the next says another. But it’s getting better.
Yes, seems like everyone has their own way to mix guitars, and they all say different things.
I think high pass is very source dependant. Personally, I don't put high pass on guitars, since the amp sim I'm using don't require it.
If you have to, I'd recommend to not go over 80Hz (which is already fairly high), in order to not killing the tone.

Yes, seems like everyone has their own way to mix guitars, and they all say different things.
I think high pass is very source dependant. Personally, I don't put high pass on guitars, since the amp sim I'm using don't require it.
If you have to, I'd recommend to not go over 80Hz (which is already fairly high), in order to not killing the tone.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try as I have it at 125Hz at the moment. Yikes. Sounds like its too high.

Any idea how to do the Andy Sneap C4 setting using reaper standard plug in?

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try as I have it at 125Hz at the moment. Yikes. Sounds like its too high.

Any idea how to do the Andy Sneap C4 setting using reaper standard plug in?
Yes, I'm often using reaXcomp to tame the guitar chuggs.

Since the goal is to compress the frequencies more or less between 60 and 250 Hz, I first set the band 1 top freq somewhere around 60, and the band 2 top freq at between 200 and 300, depends on where the mud lives.

Now the compressor settings (band 2)
According to Andy's preset, the attack is set to 35, the release to 40, and the knee to 0,5.
You want to react to the peaks (the palm mutes), so the rms should be set pretty low ; you can leave it at 5 or less.

Ratio and threshold adjusted to tame the palm mutes.
Then I adjust other settings to taste.

Here's what it looks like :
Rea_Xcomp_preset.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I'm often using reaXcomp to tame the guitar chuggs.

Since the goal is to compress the frequencies more or less between 60 and 250 Hz, I first set the band 1 top freq somewhere around 60, and the band 2 top freq at between 200 and 300, depends on where the mud lives.

Now the compressor settings (band 2)
According to Andy's preset, the attack is set to 35, the release to 40, and the knee to 0,5.
You want to react to the peaks (the palm mutes), so the rms should be set pretty low ; you can leave it at 5 or less.

Ratio and threshold adjusted to tame the palm mutes.
Then I adjust other settings to taste.

Here's what it looks like :
Rea_Xcomp_preset.jpg

Thank you very much for this detailed info. I’ll give it a try very soon. Would this go on each guitar track or the guitar bus?

I do it on each guitar track, but don't know how Andy does it.

Thank you for the info on the Sneap trick. I've added it to this mix but I don't have a ton a chucks so it's only slightly noticeable. But on another track I'm working on I can notice a big difference.

Here's my latest mix with some additional tweaking. Would love some feedback to get this any better. If anyone wants my plugin, amp sim and other info let me know and I'll post.