Death Metal Mix... Anyone?

Sounds better, especially the guitars.

Not sure about the snare. Seems to have tons of high end, perhaps too much.
IMO it lacks some sustain, too.

My opinion it's that its not bad sounding it's just sounds hollow to me, flat, it has no space no bigness nothing about that :S

My opinion it's that its not bad sounding it's just sounds hollow to me, flat, it has no space no bigness nothing about that :S

I agree 100%. I have zero idea how to get that fill the air with guitars or whatever. When I compare it to other Death Metal bands my mix is flat as you said and theirs fills the speakers and air I guess would be the best way to describe it. Any suggestions?

Sounds better, especially the guitars.

Not sure about the snare. Seems to have tons of high end, perhaps too much.
IMO it lacks some sustain, too.

I've been going back and forth with snares but always come back to this one. I have all by drums coming from EZDrummer and they are all on a single track in Reaper. So I guess I would have to get the snare on a separate track to edit it more huh?

I agree 100%. I have zero idea how to get that fill the air with guitars or whatever. When I compare it to other Death Metal bands my mix is flat as you said and theirs fills the speakers and air I guess would be the best way to describe it. Any suggestions?
My suggestion is that you work on every single instrument, especially on the drums, if the drums sound big the mix will gain a lot of body! Even try to saturate the Drum Bus with Decapitator or something like that

Last edited:
My suggestion is that you work on every single instrument, especially on the drums, if the drums sound big the mix will gain a lot of body! Even try to saturate the Drum Bus with Decapitator or something like that

Thank you for the feedback and info/suggestions, very much appreciated. I think I'm spending too much time trying to get a solid mix when I should focus on writing songs and letting the engineer(s) worry about the mix. LOL

+1

I find that the ez drummer snare often needs a bit of eq to work in the mix.

And here's my try : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds9vk91tv7yo7jc/Song test.mp3?dl=0
I'm still struggling with the guitars.
Definitely got to try amplitube.

Well holy crap. This is the best mix (in my opinion) I've received back as of yet. Very much fits the sound/tone I'm going for. Overall this is sweet. At first listen I didn't like the snare but it's growing on me. The guitars might be a bit too "fizzy" and might need some mids added...? Vocals up front a tad bit. I'm going to listen to this for a while in my car today as well to get a feel for that system.

What did you use for guitars? On my first few mixes I was using the Mesa amp/cab from Amplitube but recently I've changed over to EX Mix 2 and Tosin Rhythm 1 setting from the Metal Gods 2 expansion pack.

Would you be willing to work a bit with me on your mix? Maybe share your setup/settings? Thank you again for this.

Well.... the mix kind of fell apart in my car. Listened about ten times. The guitars seem to get lost in the mix all together. Sounded pretty damn good On my studio monitors and then fell apart in the car. Ugh

Well holy crap. This is the best mix (in my opinion) I've received back as of yet. Very much fits the sound/tone I'm going for. Overall this is sweet. At first listen I didn't like the snare but it's growing on me. The guitars might be a bit too "fizzy" and might need some mids added...? Vocals up front a tad bit. I'm going to listen to this for a while in my car today as well to get a feel for that system.

What did you use for guitars? On my first few mixes I was using the Mesa amp/cab from Amplitube but recently I've changed over to EX Mix 2 and Tosin Rhythm 1 setting from the Metal Gods 2 expansion pack.

Would you be willing to work a bit with me on your mix? Maybe share your setup/settings? Thank you again for this.
+1

I find that the ez drummer snare often needs a bit of eq to work in the mix.

And here's my try : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds9vk91tv7yo7jc/Song test.mp3?dl=0
I'm still struggling with the guitars.
Definitely got to try amplitube.

Glad you like it.
Well... liked it, before the car listening!

Seems like guitars are the weak point.
The lack of mids killed it, I think.
I'll make some tweaks to make the guitars more solid.

I used the tube screamer from the simulanalog suite.
Then the amp sim is Lepou Lecto on both side, but with two different IR (one from redwirez, and the other from sperimental pack).

If you still want to, yes I'll gladly work with you and share my settings!

Would like to hear what you come up with on guitars with some tweaking. I might go back to AmpliTube for guitars. It’s a little noisy but I really like the guitar tone. I need to spend some time tweaking to get them to sound big and massive.

Keep ur post coming. Thank you.

Glad you like it.
Well... liked it, before the car listening!

Seems like guitars are the weak point.
The lack of mids killed it, I think.
I'll make some tweaks to make the guitars more solid.

I used the tube screamer from the simulanalog suite.
Then the amp sim is Lepou Lecto on both side, but with two different IR (one from redwirez, and the other from sperimental pack).

If you still want to, yes I'll gladly work with you and share my settings!

Tempo? using a pretty decrepit DAW here
EDIT: nvm, tempo map imported incorrectly but i manually fixed it

drums probably a bit too high cus my comp's stereo image is too heavily biased to the panned tracks

So I can only hear the soundcloud ones at work, on shitty headphones.

This to me, is by far the best one.

No offense to anyone else. You guys are all making mixes I wish I could get but this one is a perfect death metal mix to me. Similar to the old suffocation productions only better, cleaner and more up to date if you will.

Very awesome dude. Killer song too btw.

Last edited:
So I can only hear the soundcloud ones at work, on shitty headphones.

This to me, is by far the best one.

No offense to anyone else. You guys are all making mixes I wish I could get but this one is a perfect death metal mix to me. Similar to the old suffocation productions only better, cleaner and more up to date if you will.

Very awesome dude. Killer song too btw.

Glad you like the song. I appreciate the support. Don't like this mix at all, on headphones, car or home system.

I'm giving up on mixing at this point. Every mix I do is flat and un-exciting. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Is anyone else using EZ Mix 2 for mixing and mastering?