Death Metal Mix... Anyone?

Don't know what happened but this and the last mix seem to be going backwards. These two are my least favorites. Overall distorted or something, don't know.
I don't hear any distortion with my headphone.
Guess it's time for me to get some decent monitors.

Anyway, I just realized that the two last mix I sent you were in mp3 192 instead of 320.
Might be the problem.
This one might sound better : https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm6a297eebyvuv0/v4 320.mp3?dl=0
I'm giving up on mixing at this point. Every mix I do is flat and un-exciting. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Is anyone else using EZ Mix 2 for mixing and mastering?
Well, I don't use Ez mix so I can't help.
I think that the first step to get decent mixes is to know how to use the basic tools (compressor and eq, mainly), and you can hardly achieve it with presets in my ipinion.
So my advice would be to first use the stock plugins of your DAW and get comfortable with.
Another important thing is to always compare your mix with mixes of the band you like, and analyse them. (How loud is a track, what are the important frequency on a track, how much sustain on a snare etc.)

Last edited:
I'm giving up on mixing at this point. Every mix I do is flat and un-exciting. No idea what I'm doing wrong. Is anyone else using EZ Mix 2 for mixing and mastering?
I would definitely recommend moving away from EZ mix and moving towards using individual plugins to get the sound you’re after. Preprogrammed chains like EZ Mix keep you from learning how to go about mixing and mastering on your own. Personally, I mainly use waves plugins, but there are a ton of different brands out there that are putting out high quality plugins.

I don't hear any distortion with my headphone.
Guess it's time for me to get some decent monitors. Anyway, I just realized that the two last mix I sent you were in mp3 192 instead of 320.
Might be the problem. This one might sound better : https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm6a297eebyvuv0/v4 320.mp3?dl=0

In my car this sounds pretty okay but on my home system the guitars still sound distorted and fizzy. Even on this mix. The vocals are too loud for my taste but I like how the vocals cut thru in the mix. What did you do as far a EQ on the vocals? Listened a few more times and guitars are just too thin for my taste.

Well, I don't use Ez mix so I can't help.
I think that the first step to get decent mixes is to know how to use the basic tools (compressor and eq, mainly), and you can hardly achieve it with presets in my ipinion.
So my advice would be to first use the stock plugins of your DAW and get comfortable with.
Another important thing is to always compare your mix with mixes of the band you like, and analyse them. (How loud is a track, what are the important frequency on a track, how much sustain on a snare etc.)

I always compare my mixes and that's one problem. I think my mix is pretty good till I compare it. LOL

I would definitely recommend moving away from EZ mix and moving towards using individual plugins to get the sound you’re after. Preprogrammed chains like EZ Mix keep you from learning how to go about mixing and mastering on your own. Personally, I mainly use waves plugins, but there are a ton of different brands out there that are putting out high quality plugins.

I like EZMix for the ease of use. I'm realistic and not thinking I'm going to get a Suffocation, Vader, Cannibal Corpse, Hate quality mix. I'm looking to get solid demo quality or better so I can mix my own music. I've been using Reaper stock plugins as well and learning what I can from YouTube as well as EZMix.

In my car this sounds pretty okay but on my home system the guitars still sound distorted and fizzy. Even on this mix. The vocals are too loud for my taste but I like how the vocals cut thru in the mix. What did you do as far a EQ on the vocals? Listened a few more times and guitars are just too thin for my taste.
Damn, that's weird.
I don't know why the guitars are distorted, I don't even hear the distortion.
I can fix the fizziness and the thinness but the distortion idk

As for vocals

I generally don't eq vocals like crazy, but this one needed it
First I cut the boxy frequency at 400hz
Then I boosted at 3Khz to make it more present
A bit of 10Khz for some shiny top end
Then it figured out it sounded thin, so I made a big boost at 200 Hz

A bit of compression

At this point, the sibillance started to sound harsh, so I put a de-esser

Then a bit of distortion and it was ok.

Finally, sent it to some delay and reverb.

I always compare my mixes and that's one problem. I think my mix is pretty good till I compare it. LOL
LOL, same here!

Damn, that's weird.
I don't know why the guitars are distorted, I don't even hear the distortion.
I can fix the fizziness and the thinness but the distortion idk

To my ears there's something going on with the guitars. Thin and some strange fuzz/distortion or something.

As for vocals

I generally don't eq vocals like crazy, but this one needed it
First I cut the boxy frequency at 400hz
Then I boosted at 3Khz to make it more present
A bit of 10Khz for some shiny top end
Then it figured out it sounded thin, so I made a big boost at 200 Hz

A bit of compression

At this point, the sibillance started to sound harsh, so I put a de-esser

Then a bit of distortion and it was ok.

Finally, sent it to some delay and reverb.!

Would you be willing to post screen shots of your vocal settings/plugins so I can see the cuts/boost and the plugins themselves? I made some of the changes you posted and vocals are already sitting better in the mix. Maybe too out front and clean now...LOL. Going to keep tweaking but this is nice. Thank you.

To my ears there's something going on with the guitars. Thin and some strange fuzz/distortion or something.
I sure did something wrong, I got to find what.

Would you be willing to post screen shots of your vocal settings/plugins so I can see the cuts/boost and the plugins themselves? I made some of the changes you posted and vocals are already sitting better in the mix. Maybe too out front and clean now...LOL. Going to keep tweaking but this is nice. Thank you.
Yeah, for sure.
There you go :
vocals_processing.jpg

In that order : eq, de-esser, compressor, distortion.
The eq and the compressor are the stock plugin of the DAW I'm using (FL Studio)
Tonmann de-esser and Nick Crow TubeDriver are free plugins you can easily find on google.

If it's too clean, go berserk with the distortion and squash it all :D

Last edited:
I sure did something wrong, I got to find what.

Yeah, for sure.
There you go :
vocals_processing.jpg

In that order : eq, de-esser, compressor, distortion.
The eq and the compressor are the stock plugin of the DAW I'm using (FL Studio)
Tonmann de-esser and Nick Crow TubeDriver are free plugins you can easily find on google.

If it's too clean, go berserk with the distortion and squash it all :D

Hell Yeah. Thank you. I’ll give these plugins a good go.

Also. Should I have mastering plugins on the master level of my mix or should I mix, render the mix to a .wav file, import the wav into a new Reaper session and mix that?

I been adding plugins to the master buss while mixing. Not sure this is good or not. Or correct or not.

Regarding EZ mix and programmed presets like that I wanted to comment. I consider myself very novice so take it fwiw but while I have never used ez mix I did just get Ozone Neutron on sale and ran a very quick pass of presets on each track.

I found a very awesome difference between that and what I was doing on something I had eq'd on my own previously. I also feel that it is probably better to learn and understand what you are doing I think that clicking a bypass on and off - while seeing and hearing what the presets are doing you actually do learn what and why. May not be the "best" to set it and forget it but tbh a good final result is what I am after.

Also. Should I have mastering plugins on the master level of my mix or should I mix, render the mix to a .wav file, import the wav into a new Reaper session and mix that?

I been adding plugins to the master buss while mixing. Not sure this is good or not. Or correct or not.

Thank you for the screen shots. You RULE! I've finally finished the second some I've been working on so now I can take some time and see if I can mix these two song. I'll post some mixes and see if I can get some feedback as to how to fix and make better.

I've been told that any effects other than a compressor should be avoided on the master track.
The idea behind this is that you don't let your mixing beeing influenced by some vst on your master, which may lead you to make bad mixing decision.
(Don't know if my wording is correct... I'm terrible at speaking English)

Thank you for the screen shots. You RULE! I've finally finished the second some I've been working on so now I can take some time and see if I can mix these two song. I'll post some mixes and see if I can get some feedback as to how to fix and make better.

Glad I could help!
Keep posting, man :kickass:

Last edited:
Well.... Here's my latest mix. Still can't get that BIG sound from my mix. Or big guitars. I've tried everything I know to get the guitars and overall sound bigger but seem to be failing. Suggestions?

Hey Bloodsoaked, NICE TRACK!!! I had a go at it. Thanks for sharing it. I think my drums might be misfiring or need some velocity tweaks...the drum midi didn't have any hihat or whatever during the halftime spot, so rather than drawing anything in I just worked it as is with some distorted reverb to fill the voids. Hope I did it some justice.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x2lo4d595iyi4qj/AADCvGeAxKVVwlRcV8Pf1i2Ya?dl=0

Last edited:
Hope you didn't abandon the thread, it's a good one.

Here's a more old school scooped guitars mix. I use Reaper and, with the exception of a couple of reverbs and one eq, all the plugs are stock or freeware, including drums and amp sims (not that it really matters).

New mixes are in the Dropbox here.

Edit: Just some quick eq adjustments and brought up overall volume. Re-uploaded.

Last edited:
Hope you didn't abandon the thread, it's a good one.

Here's a more old school scooped guitars mix. I use Reaper and, with the exception of a couple of reverbs and one eq, all the plugs are stock or freeware, including drums and amp sims (not that it really matters).

New mixes are in the Dropbox here.

Edit: Just some quick eq adjustments and brought up overall volume. Re-uploaded.

Not a fan of the vocal processing but you got a nice guitar tone and it's pretty clean. I use reaper as well and still have so much to learn. What amp sims and drums did you use? Thank you for taking the time to mix it.

Ha, I figured the vocal thing was coming. I'll mess with that and remove the shenanigans.

Amp sim: Emissary and Mercuriall Cab 3
Drums: MTPowerDrums and Sean Pandy. (something is misfiring and I think it's this ancient laptop)

I've been in the middle of an overseas move so my normal rig has been unavailable for almost four months. Just using a dated laptop and nice headphones (Senn HD-600) atm, but our sea of moving boxes is dwindling so hopefully I'll be able to set up my rig within the next week or so. Normally use Slate drums and Mercuriall's amp sims among other things.

I went and listened to some of your older stuff on Youtube. It's freaking great. I don't get much opportunity to mix death metal, but if you get more specific on what you like and don't like, I might be able to come up with something.

Thanks again for the wicked track and for the feedback.

Bye-bye vocal wackiness. Brightened up the mix a little too.

Edit: FOUND THE MISSING HIHAT!!! lol waaaaaaay down low... and a few other midi notes that I have no idea what they are supposed to trigger.

The drums sound like their in a room all by themselves. Like the drums are doing a cover of the song. They don’t feel part of the mix. Bass is too loud for my taste.

This has some cool aspects though.

I went and listened to some of your older stuff on Youtube. It's freaking great. I don't get much opportunity to mix death metal, but if you get more specific on what you like and don't like, I might be able to come up with something.

Thanks again for the wicked track and for the feedback.

Thank you so much for checking out my older stuff and my band in general. That’s very cool. Also glad you like it. Whoo hoo