Death Metal, New Song!!!

Aug 6, 2006
My latest and greatest (LOL) home recorded death metal song Grinding Your Guts has been recored, mixes and masterd all in my bedroom. Check out the song here:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=5682

I would love opinions on Grinding Your Guts good or bad. This song is a bit slower than most of my songs but I think it works and has a cool old-school death metal feel to it.

Info on the recording:

4 guitar tracks 1 80% left, 1 80% right, 1 100% left , 1 100% right
1 bass track centered
1 drum machine track centered
1 main vocal track with some 2nd track fill-ins

The guitars are all done with my V-Amp Pro. 2 tracks with the Off-Axis Cabinet and 2 tracks with the Vintage 78 Cabinet. I also used the V-Amp Pro to record the bass track as well.

Any and all comments are more than welcome good and/or bad. Any questions please ask.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to listen and comment!!!

Peter

That sounds fantastic! What is your method of recording the V-Amp? Mine always sounded like shit recorded.

4 guitar tracks 1 80% left, 1 80% right, 1 100% left , 1 100% right. 2 tracks with the with the Off-Axis Cabinet and 2 tracks with the Vintage 78 Cabinet. I tweaked the hell out of it with the software and control the V-Amp Pro with software via the midi cables, it works great. I love my V-Amp Pro, best investment I have ever made!!!

Peter

guitars sound pretty damn good, still have a bit of that low end fizziness that i found to be inherent in the v-amp...drum sound i don't really care for, definitely sounds like a drum machine...nice job on the vox as well

Pretty cool song overall.:headbang: Nice Deicide-inspired riff at around 2/3rd's of the way through.

Good tone for a modeller, shame it gets a bit buried under the vocals sometimes.

guitars sound pretty damn good, still have a bit of that low end fizziness that i found to be inherent in the v-amp...drum sound i don't really care for, definitely sounds like a drum machine...nice job on the vox as well

Seems that most people like the guitar sound and the vocals and that is where it ends...LOL

Anything you think I can do to remove the fizziness or do you think it is just the fact that I am using the V-Amp?

Not much I can really do with the drums unless I get DSFH or some other good drum machine software. I think it works for what I am doing. Just trying to get a demo out.

Thanks again for listening!!!

Peter

4 guitar tracks 1 80% left, 1 80% right, 1 100% left , 1 100% right. 2 tracks with the with the Off-Axis Cabinet and 2 tracks with the Vintage 78 Cabinet. I tweaked the hell out of it with the software and control the V-Amp Pro with software via the midi cables, it works great. I love my V-Amp Pro, best investment I have ever made!!!

Peter

So you just ran a 1/4 to 1/8 into your soundcard? What soundcard do you have? I need to invest in a new sound card, I can never get anything to sound good recorded that way. Thank god the PODxt has USB

Pretty cool song overall.:headbang: Nice Deicide-inspired riff at around 2/3rd's of the way through.

Good tone for a modeller, shame it gets a bit buried under the vocals sometimes.

Yes!!! A Deicide refference!!! My day is starting off well now!!! I have had Morbid Angel and now Deicide comparisonsm can't ask for much better than that...

So do you think the vocals should be lowered a bit in the mix so the guitar is not being buried?

Glad you liked the song!!!

Peter

Well... again good death metal. Though, in the beginning where the snares going in a grindrythm, it sounds very machine...

Glad you liked the song overall...yeah, when the faster (grind/blast) beat comes on in the begining it is a kick, snare and hi-hat all at the same time. I agree that it is machine like but I think it fits. I have really done all I can wiht the drume machine software I have to make the drums sound better untill I get something better.

Thanks for listening and commenting!!!

Peter

So you just ran a 1/4 to 1/8 into your soundcard? What soundcard do you have? I need to invest in a new sound card, I can never get anything to sound good recorded that way. Thank god the PODxt has USB

I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Soundcard. I think it was like $149. That was another great investment that I had made. For me it works great and I can get a 24/96 recorded audio.

But yeah, from my guitar into the V-Amp Pro and then into my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI Digital Audio Soundcard. I use the V-Amp Pro software to control the V-Amp via the midi cables and I am ready to record.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Peter

the v-amps i owned always had some low end fizziness, i was still able to get a good tone from them...but that aspect was always there

you wouldn't happen to have those drums as midi files would you? if so i could throw a dfh2 track together for you pretty easily

Glad you liked the song overall...yeah, when the faster (grind/blast) beat comes on in the begining it is a kick, snare and hi-hat all at the same time. I agree that it is machine like but I think it fits. I have really done all I can wiht the drume machine software I have to make the drums sound better untill I get something better.

Thanks for listening and commenting!!!

Peter

You're welcome...

But anywhoo... you simply can't make everybody happy... and there will always be something that could be better. It does'nt stink... it's actully good, and that's it!! :kickass: :headbang:

there are many things you could do to improve your drum sound without spending any money. Use different samples than the ones it came with. There are many that people post on forums as well as Andy Sneap's. Make sure to use multiple samples for each drum. Most samples have differnt hits for each part.

there are many things you could do to improve your drum sound without spending any money. Use different samples than the ones it came with. There are many that people post on forums as well as Andy Sneap's. Make sure to use multiple samples for each drum. Most samples have differnt hits for each part.

I will look into that dude, thanks...

Peter

you wouldn't happen to have those drums as midi files would you? if so i could throw a dfh2 track together for you pretty easily

No, the drums are from a software based drums machine I use called, Beatcraft. I program all the drums in Beatcraft and then render that to a .wav file and then import that file into my recording software (Mixcraft). So I guess the only thing you could do would program the entire song and convert it to a .wav file and then I could import that into my recording software.

I hope that makes sence as this is how I have been doing it from the begining.

Peter

will beatcraft allow you to export a midi file, or only .wav?

i'm not too familiar with your method, but that's not surprising...everyone who programs drums does it differently; i program mine in guitar pro, them export them as midi files, open them in fruity loops, use that to trigger dfh2, which i then mix down to a .wav file

will beatcraft allow you to export a midi file, or only .wav?

i'm not too familiar with your method, but that's not surprising...everyone who programs drums does it differently; i program mine in guitar pro, them export them as midi files, open them in fruity loops, use that to trigger dfh2, which i then mix down to a .wav file

To be honest I am not sure if will export to a midi file. I am getting ready for work not but when I get home tonight I will find out.

Peter