Death Metal

the first death metal song i heard wwas December Flower by in falmes...after that it just kept getting heavier and heavier. i fell in love with death vocals straight away. i also learnt that brutallity is NOT inversly proportional to melody. important thing (not you guys ofcourse) the public should know.

Demonspell said:
Grindcore bores me terribly...how many impossibly fast songs about performing torture with medical instruments or violating a woman's anus with blunt objects do we really need?

Listen to some Nasum... they sing about alot of good stuff... the new album even has a song about abuse against females... It rocks that they put so much thought into it.. and alot of the songs have a very positive message.

ChromeLife said:
Listen to some Nasum... they sing about alot of good stuff... the new album even has a song about abuse against females... It rocks that they put so much thought into it.. and alot of the songs have a very positive message.

I haven't heard the new album, but I have heard a couple of songs from their previous records, and none of them sounded appealing to me :erk:

NP: Suffocation - Funeral Inception

The most brutal of the brutal is quickly becoming my favourite genre of music. I admit, there are so many bands out there that either lack talent and mask it under blistering sonic heaviness or are just plain derivative that the scene can look pointless and sterile to outsiders, but to the contrary, there are plenty of bands of such caliber that are just as awesome at what they do as Opeth or DT or whatever.

It's ok to have that stuff go right over your head, it's not meant to be comprehended easily. Our social programming makes music like that naturally incomprehensible; we're brought-up to enjoy and appreciate melody, repetition, choruses and simple beats out of music, so when we first encounter brutal DM or grindcore, it really does challenge you. It's easy to be attracted to bands like Opeth because there is comprehensibility that we can grasp at and call 'art' in the popular sense. If you don't like the brutal DM sound, that's fine, but if you don't mind the sound and it's simply the fact that it goes right over you, then all you need to do is be patient and give your attention to it. When you get to the quality bands of the truly brutal scene and spend time comprehending the music, you'll get to appreciate it or love it eventually.

i suggest carcass' necroticism as an entry album. it has clear production and enough discernable melody/popular structuring in the songs to immediately enjoy, but is still brutal/progressive/technical/artistic

there are so many other "brutal" bands with something to contribute artistically to music. and usually the 'brutality' is the least important part, compared with the interesting structures/timings, exotic melodic and harmonic ideas...

Eno_Mun said:
I can understand and enjoy less heavy bands like Bloodbath and Death.... but most brutal stuff just goes right over my head. The same goes for the heaviest grindcore (pig destroyer).

Help me out here. Did you like brutal death metal from the start? Post your experiences here.
Took me a while to get used to it. As of right now, Pig Destroyer has become one of my all-time favorite bands. Even once I started liking Nile and shit, I thought to myself, "Well, I like death metal...but I will NEVER like grindcore..."

I was totally wrong. Grind rules. Just give it some time...you can't force yourself to like it. It'll either happen or it won't.

saturnix said:
i like the gothenburg sound, and some tech death, but most death metal is so fucking cheesy, it's on par with power metal.

most death metal bands need to get a life.

and grindcore bands can just suck my dick.
All this from the man who got into music through Offspring less than 3 years ago.

Give it time, dude...keep an open mind. Grind can be great.

Seriously, guys....Pig Destroyer are heavy, but there are MANY grind bands that are way heavier (IMO)

Cephalic Carnage, Foetopsy (their drummer is INHUMAN), Fuck...I'm Dead, etc.

I like Pig Destroyer, but they're almost weak compared to some of these bands.

As for brutal death goes, I pretty much love all of it. I'm in a brutal death/black metal band, with the ocassional doom influence, so I obviously wouldn't be doing it if I hated it :lol:

I think Anaal Nathrakh is great. That counts as brutal BM, right?

I haven't heard many other brutal bands. I think Nile is pretty cool. I just haven't given it the time.

I don't understand grindcore. I'll keep listening to it, though. There has to be SOMETHING there, right?

I used to not be able to handle anything that had blastbeats in it for more than like 15 seconds, then I got Bolt Thrower's classic, Realm Of Chaos, and suddenly I understood. Seriously, check it out.

Some of you people sound like relative nu-metal trendies. It's not the hardest thing in the world to write nice-sounding melodies either, and it wins over the crowd much easier. :Smug: Kinda like aggression and marketing win over the nu-metal crowd.