Death of the CD?

I really, really hope not.

I've been buying physical CDs for years, ever since my first paycheck, and I don't want to stop any time soon. I want to keep buying new albums that come out. I love looking at my physical collection. It's much more impressive than some digital copy that you can't hold, artwork and booklets you can't actually flip through in your hands. The artwork and just... physical being of the CD is half the fun to me, the first thing I do when a new CD arrives in the mail is open up the booklet and check it all out.

Plus, there's the quality issue. Unless you're downloading a lossless audio file (which, if your whole collection is lossless, takes up a massive amount of space), the quality won't be as great as a CD's. I also love to spin them in my car, because 1) I don't have one of those iPod jacks in mine and 2) I don't want to screw around with an iPod while I'm driving. It might be more convenient, but at the same time, with more choices, I'll probably spend more time worrying over what I should play next. CDs not only give me better quality but they give me a limited selection to choose from in the car - what's currently at my disposal - and I can focus on the music more that way.

Plus, that way, I'd probably pay more attention to tracks less often listened to instead of just flipping through my favorites.

there's some evidence that consumers aren't as enamored with ripping the cellophane off that new CD as they once were.

I don't know about you guys, but I love doing that. Like opening up a gift. Bah.

i've seen that coming for years. bummer i like cd's but buying mp3's is cheaper and when all you have for a cd player is a computer... dj's still scratch vinyl records lol is the vinyl record going to last longer than the cd? XD

agree with 1982 100% - i love my CD collection as much as i love my books - i love seeing them on the shelves, touching them, flipping through the booklets

i'm extremely possessive - i don't lend my books or CDs to anyone because they hardly ever come back to you intact, if the do come back at all :bah:

and indeed, it is more than opening a gift - it's like unpacking a new world, isn't it?
besides that - i think we have already discussed it here - you cannot really compare the quality of the sound in a CD and in the mp3

This better not happen. For one mp3's sound like shit in a sandwich, seriously they are about the worst audio format there is, if anything go to master tracks in WAV. Two going all digital is bad as people with slow internet(like me) have to wait about an hour just to get an album that they PAYED to get. The wait is just ridiculous, a CD is pop open the case put in the car and jam. Also if there are no CD's what happens to all the artists? There would not be as much demand for CD artwork and back of the case artwork, etc.

I have admit to being a little o-CD :p I will only buy CD releases because I like to admire the collection I've built up over the years. I'm a sucker for special editions too. You just can't beat a real nice deluxe edition. No digital version can match that. I will buy the CD and support the artist to the bitter end.
Coming home after a day at the office and blasting the surround sound is a natural routine. I can't be doing with having to boot up a computer to play songs in a poor quality format after staring at screens all day anyway. I guess i'm one of the old fashioned young people :confused:

I really, really hope not.

I've been buying physical CDs for years, ever since my first paycheck, and I don't want to stop any time soon. I want to keep buying new albums that come out. I love looking at my physical collection. It's much more impressive than some digital copy that you can't hold, artwork and booklets you can't actually flip through in your hands. The artwork and just... physical being of the CD is half the fun to me, the first thing I do when a new CD arrives in the mail is open up the booklet and check it all out.

Plus, there's the quality issue. Unless you're downloading a lossless audio file (which, if your whole collection is lossless, takes up a massive amount of space), the quality won't be as great as a CD's. I also love to spin them in my car, because 1) I don't have one of those iPod jacks in mine and 2) I don't want to screw around with an iPod while I'm driving. It might be more convenient, but at the same time, with more choices, I'll probably spend more time worrying over what I should play next. CDs not only give me better quality but they give me a limited selection to choose from in the car - what's currently at my disposal - and I can focus on the music more that way.

Plus, that way, I'd probably pay more attention to tracks less often listened to instead of just flipping through my favorites.

there's some evidence that consumers aren't as enamored with ripping the cellophane off that new CD as they once were.

I don't know about you guys, but I love doing that. Like opening up a gift. Bah.

Pretty much all of this sums up my thoughts as well, except for the using CD's in the Car bit as I don't drive...for now.

Personally, I still think it's gonna be 20 or so years before CD's more or less die out.

I have admit to being a little o-CD :p I will only buy CD releases because I like to admire the collection I've built up over the years. I'm a sucker for special editions too. You just can't beat a real nice deluxe edition. No digital version can match that. I will buy the CD and support the artist to the bitter end.
Coming home after a day at the office and blasting the surround sound is a natural routine. I can't be doing with having to boot up a computer to play songs in a poor quality format after staring at screens all day anyway. I guess i'm one of the old fashioned young people :confused:

One of us indeed. Its up to us to keep it alive. Way to point out the surround sound perk! Gotta love my CD's mixed in 5.1!

1928 has one godly CD collection; I've seen it. It's a beauty to behold.

However, I accept technology supplanting things. I can't get any more sentimental about CDs than about cassette tapes or phonographs. The reason things are supplanted is because the new things are preferred by a majority of people; if a large enough minority dissents, there original version remains.

My only worry is for the financial security of artists--fewer and fewer are going to be able to make a living, and that applies to ALL creative endeavors. And on the flip side, I'm a member of the new media that's killing newspapers by the dozens, so a bit hypocritical of me. :p

Look at band like Sabaton....started around the same time as PQ......now touring 3-5 months of the year, Top 20 album in Germany and......they all still have day jobs!

Labels=evil and greedy. Though I'm sure PQ could get pretty high up in the German charts! They (is it proper for a dual citizen to say WE?) like the power metal! I mean look at Avantasia, three chart positions with two albums! Damn good. Plus the Scorpions topping it all off!

Though musicians are very underpaid in my opinion, as biased as that is. All the hard work put into it and you lose money to pirates and labels and that adds up quick!