Debating Next Purchase... Need Help!

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Considering that I already have SSD EX, Trigger Platinum and a Sterling ST-79... Should I get:

A) Superior 2.0
B) Shure SM7b

Both are similar in price range (assuming I get the SM7b used). Right now, audioMIDI has the EZDrummer to S2.0 Crossgrade for $100, so I could buy EZDrummer on eBay for ~$70 and have S2.0 for $170.

I really like what I've heard from S2.0 and most everyone on this forum seems to use it as their preferred drum program, but I'm enjoy the tones I get out of SSD and while I'd really like the flexibility of S2.0, I'm unsure that the sound quality will be an "upgrade." At $170, I don't really want to spend the money if the sound quality is only marginal.

The other 2 choices are fairly obvious - I already have a decent condenser mic for vocals (ST-79), but I'd really like the flexibility of having a decent dynamic for vocals as well. Plus, I can use it for micing guitar, hi-hats, etc. Only problem is, I haven't done much recording lately that actually used a mic... though I plan on having some bands come in next month, so it could be useful.

What do you guys think? I plan on getting both at some point, either way... but which should I get first?

I think you'd be much better off with the microphone, personally.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards right now, but people keep telling me the cymbals on S2.0 are way better than SSD, which might be worth it in itself... However, I've also heard the stock sounds are pretty bright, which my friend who told me this, seemed to think that was a bad thing about them. He told me Metal Foundry's cymbals are darker and he liked them better, but that's another $150 on top of S2.0. If I'm spending that much, I think I'd just go for the Evil Drums SDX, cause all the clips I've heard of it sound fantastic.