Reamping bass, need some serious routing help.

mstone564

Jan 21, 2010
Okay, so I have a:

- Saffire Pro 40
- Country Man 85
- Peavey Max 450 bass head running through an Avatar 4x10
- SM7B and 2 mic cables, 2 speaker cables, and a female to TRS adaptor
- Reaper

Can someone explain the routing I would need to do as far as the signal chain (connecting what to what) and routing in Reaper.

I can't for the life of me get this to work.

DAW -> Saffire output that is not in use -> Reamp-box -> Guitar amp -> Guitar cabinet -> Microphone -> Saffire input -> DAW new track

GuitarGuru777 is using the Saffire interface and he says that you can reamp without a reamp box, but I noticed that I usually get a major ground loop problem and degraded signal quality that way, atleast with Digidesign, RME and M-Audio interfaces. We tried at McNally that you can reamp with apassive DI-box, but it sounded way superior with a real reamp-box

yeah if your havin trouble with the internal routin of the saffire then, you open the mix control and set an empty output to a DAW output then in your daw, route your DI channel out what ever you selected in the mix control, then build your physical signal chain including reamp box etc. record back in on differant channel and viola reamped, well not a viola reamped, a bass :D

it's voilà, not viola.

voi·là
   /vwɑˈlɑ; Fr. vwaˈla/ Show Spelled[vwah-lah; Fr. vwa-la] Show IPA
–interjection
(used to express success or satisfaction). Voilà, my new winter outfit!
Use voilà in a Sentence
See images of voilà
Search voilà on the Web
Also, voi·la .

Origin:
1825&#8211;35; < F, equiv. to voi see! (2nd pers. sing. impv. of voir to see) + la there

&#8212;Can be confused: &#8194;viola, voilà .

vi·o·la
1 &#8194; &#8194;/vi&#712;o&#650;l&#601;/ Show Spelled[vee-oh-luh] Show IPA
&#8211;noun
a four-stringed musical instrument of the violin family, slightly larger than the violin; a tenor or alto violin.
a labial organ stop of eight-foot or four-foot pitch, giving tones of a penetrating stringlike quality.

111056.jpg

Actually, it's still not working. :(

I'm using line output 3 going to DAW 1 in the Saffire mixer, but what do I need to plug what about to on my head?
The instrument input or the preamp out?

Actually, it's still not working. :(

I'm using line output 3 going to DAW 1 in the Saffire mixer, but what do I need to plug what about to on my head?
The instrument input or the preamp out?

You should plug the cable coming from the reamping device ("reamp out" or similar) into the normal instrument input on your bass-amp, with a standard guitar cable.

Okay, I have just a regular instrument cable running from line output 3 of my Pro 40 to the instrument input of my Peavey Max 450 and an SM7B coming from line input 1 on the cab.

Here's how I have the routing for the bass DI in Reaper:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3689406/Conqueror Bass Reamp.jpg

And here's what the Mix Control looks like:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3689406/Conqueror Saffire MixControl.jpg

Also, when I play back say a video from YouTube or something, THAT plays back through my amp and is controled by my amps master volume AND the monitors, so I'm confused as to why it's not picking up in my DAW.
Hopefully someone can understand and help solve this?