Need some quick help with adapters...

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
Hey guys,

Usually I'm the king of adapters but this one has me stumped. I recently purchased an ATR3350. It's a lavaliere microphone that's meant to be used as an external camera mic. However, I really don't wanna plug it directly into the camera. I'd rather use my preamps in the saffire 6 and process the audio in post (this is for "tutorial" style videos for my company btw)

Long story short...it doesn't quite work right. This signal sounds horrendous and quiet. I've read that this is due to an impedance mismatch but finding a 1/8 inch female to a male XLR adapter is like trying to capture bigfoot on film. I read that this is due to the incoming signal from the mic being stereo and trying to convert it to mono causes some sort of ground cancellation (?). I could be wrong

Do you guys know of any solution for connecting this thing directly to my saffire? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here's a link to the mic itself

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR-3350-Omnidirectional-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B002HJ9PTO[/ame]

Nah, that's a mono plug (TS, just one stripe on the pin) in the picture, so all you should need is a mono-mono 1/8-1/4 adapter and then plug it in a DI box/input on your interface (since it's unbalanced and high imp, and thus can't just be adapted to XLR)

^what he said.

You can get a nice long stereo adapter/extension cable that's 1/8in female to 1/4in male at radioshack for like $8.

@Marcus - A stereo adapter cable would still work right?

I don't think so, actually (cuz I know 1/4" TRS cables don't work as instrument cables), but RS has 1/8" mono extensions too - better to run a long XLR from an external DI close to the mic though if possible (balanced, low impedance)