Debut album (has SyX disowned it?)

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
I have read in interviews that Romeo has reffered to the first Symphony X album as "little more than a demo" plus the fact that they reused a lyric and melody from The Raging Season in Orion - The Hunter, and now the fact that they have not issued it amungst the US rereleases, the question comes to mind - has Symphony X, for lack of a better term, "disowned" their first album? Or rather, are they treating it like it was nothing more than a demo?

the sound quality on the first two albums is nothing like that startingw/ the divine wings, and their was that other singer...but i odn't see what the big deal is. the debut has great songs, really good, well done and shit, and it really sounds like some epic symphony x...a lot of moods andall of that...
i personally think that and the dark chapter are excellent to listen to, even though there i could listen to the later albums any time..and the first one sometimes...
but maybe to MR he wouldn't really promote or care about that. in his interview he was really nonchalant about the guitar chapter video as well...

if they are unhappy...a rerecording would be so cool! with the current lineup...haha! like masquerade 98 is excellent

:confused:

I dont really understand why people alienate The Damnation Game from the other 3 albums that came after it as if it was so increadibly different or inferior. Personally I feel the Damnation Game had some of their best work on it. The style is the same as well. Maybe the recording quality wasnt quite as good but I dont really notice it. I can understand the first album, but how come people often seperate Damnation Game from the other 3?

when i bought the damnation game cd i couldn't figure it out for a while why it didn't affect me as hard as the rest...and the only thing i could think of for me feeling that way was the sound quality. that's it for me....
the next album is way better produced, with much better instruments...i don't know but its like many underproduced cd's have this thing...its like they are greyer...and when the sound got better, the music got a lot more colorful...
the difference was like when i heard the damnation game i could actually picture a band in a studio, btu with the newer ones my mind is full of fantastic visions....
the difference was i loved the new stuff right away, it took me a while to appreciate the damnation game...but once i did i think its awesome

but the sound quality is pretty different

i feel the same way about images and words from dream theater, even though i really love that album

Well... if u compare bands like Metallica, that, even in the 3rd album, still sound a little "garagy", I can surely say that "Symphony X" is definitely a demo-album. U see, in the 3rd album, Symphony X sounded more evoluted than many bands over there!!! After all, you cannot compare "Symphony X" with "TDWOT", in record quality, musicians technics, sound heavyness... precision... and what else...

Maybe... just maybe... if "Symphony X" were re-recorded now, with all the quality and experience that they acheived, it'd sound a lot better...

Originally posted by ElvenShadow
I dont really understand why people alienate The Damnation Game from the other 3 albums that came after it as if it was so increadibly different or inferior. Personally I feel the Damnation Game had some of their best work on it. The style is the same as well. Maybe the recording quality wasnt quite as good but I dont really notice it. I can understand the first album, but how come people often seperate Damnation Game from the other 3?

My opinion about this is, that for most people or fans the SX era started with TDWoT and also, that this album is the most loved and appreciated.

I, personally, like TDG very much, and as you said, it has some of the band's best work on it. But it's just a matter of personal taste, I guess.