Decent guitars on the cheap?

ArtGarceau

Jan 24, 2007
Chicago
I've been playing guitar for about 12 years. I had stopped playing about 2 years ago, and I recently started picking it back up.

My problem is that I have really shitty guitars. I have a Fender Squier, and a Jackson Dinky Reverse. It's funny because my ex-band has played awesome shows with bands like Macabre and Deicide, but I've never had a decent guitar.

Any recommendations in the $500 range? I frequent the local GC every so often, but have never fell in love with a guitar in particular. When Enforsaken was at my place recording I did fall in love with a Caparison, but that is probably way out of budget!

Jackson DXMG is very nice for the price. Its around £350...not sure about the dollas but it shouldnt be too far off. Ive got one, put new pickups and trem in it but damn its popular and for the price you get some passive EMG's. I reccommend!

Dunno man, i have both a USA KV2 and a jap Rx10D...

And the jap plays just as well as the US...

Infact,i'm using the jap one for my new CD.

Dunno man, i have both a USA KV2 and a jap Rx10D...

And the jap plays just as well as the US...

Infact,i'm using the jap one for my new CD.

I spend all day with Schecter and Jackson guitars and you are right, you can get some great Jap Jackson's, but we also have a rubbish USA soloist in the store that I can't believe got past quality control.

Since Jackson=Fender it seems that you have to spend £600+ to get a nice Jackson (just like with all Fenders).

I spend all day with Schecter and Jackson guitars and you are right, you can get some great Jap Jackson's, but we also have a rubbish USA soloist in the store that I can't believe got past quality control.

Since Jackson=Fender it seems that you have to spend £600+ to get a nice Jackson (just like with all Fenders).

Nah, QC has gone down the pan for jackson recently... It's a damned shame too....

I'd say Ibanez, actually. In that price range, pickup upgradesare mandatory though. Otherwise; search EvilBay or any other used market. I've gotten a LOT of sweet guitars used, like my S7420 which I got at a quarter of it's original price, or my ESP M1, which cost me less than a low range mexi-Fender.