Deep Purple "Now What?"

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
The new DP album is aptly named "Now What?". Well now it came an album very consistent with itself but totally devoid of the acceleration of 'Highway Star' or 'Dead Or Alive',none the grandeur of 'Child In Time' or 'Perfect Strangers'.

The 4th album with Steve Morse and 2nd with Don Airey found the remaining of Deep Purple Mk.II at a point in which they probably out of age decided to go on very laid back path, leaving the intensity of Blackmore´s era albums, but not dropping the magnificent Hammond work led for years by Jon Lord (R.I.P).

I attested Airey live with the band back in 2002, and I can certify he was a very worthy successor of Lord's legacy. Never had a problem with Morse guitar direction, I think that the composition in general decided to go on the softer side of rock.

This is not by any means an AOR album, people who like "Bananas" or "Rapture Of The Deep" will find this band mostly on the same wavelength only tamer.

Unlike ROTD this album is more solid to me, DP had never been a band that could be pointed on that issue. Lots of great songs but seldom a whole album with the proper cohesiveness. "Machine Head" and "Perfect Strangers" may be the most, and "The Battle Rages On" as an example the less.

Said all this I'm gonna purchase the CD. Just one more quick note, the bonus track does not worth to but the deluxe edition, the standard one will suffice.

Remarkable songs: 'Hell to Pay', 'All The Time In The World', 'Vincent Price' (my fave so far).

I got the new Deep Purple from Amazon last night and played it twice through upon download. Initial impressions: Well crafted songs, very consistent... the pace (tempo, not the drummer Ian) is a little slower, but they are getting older and I believe it's wise of them to stay in their comfort zone as they've not given any inclination that they're to stop touring anytime soon. Like Wyvern said, if you liked Bananas and Rapture, you should like this as well. I'm only two listens in, but I have a feeling this album is going to have some staying power in my playlist!

My copy arrived yesterday too from Amazon. Gonna play it next, as I'm fixing stuff in my computer and hadn't able to check it through.

I agree the tempo is slower, which in my case is kinda disappointing, but now that I have the proper CD I can listen the way it should be and make a better assessment of the product.

vincent price is also my favorite tune so far from the album. its the only song were gillan goes off. also i think the guitar is too low in the mix and a few songs sound like a song the band KANSAS would do.

also i wanted to point out Wyvern this is the 5th album with morse not the 4th. purpendicular, abandon, bananas, rapture of the deep and now what

also i wanted to point out Wyvern this is the 5th album with morse not the 4th. purpendicular, abandon, bananas, rapture of the deep and now what

Right. Math has never been my strong point :D

funny i said a few songs sound a bit like kansas, i forgot morse was in kansas a few years

So far for me it's 'Vincent Price', 'Hell To Pay', 'Apres Vous', 'All The Time In The World', ' A Simple Song', the rest are still under scrutiny.