Deep Purple Revisited & Misc Ramblings

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Been listening to heck of a lot of Purple!
I got a friend that owns a record store in the town I work in.
He took a stack of discs in mid last week, he had a pair of Purple discs in the pile that he had been listening to. I was blown away how great the band was! After removing yourself from some of these particular bands, when you get to hear them again, you're blown away. That's what has happened with me & Deep Purple. That's what had happened with Ted Nugent(at least his classic material)too! I tend to change the dial when I hear Zeppelin. I'm soooo burnt out on them, I have heard just about everything from them. I however, was sucked in by "Fool in the Rain" when it came on the other day. What a fuckin' kick ass song! It's better than I recall. In fact, there's this band called MANA that did "Fool in the Rain," on the Zepp cover record, well the Mexican pressing. Track this down you might not understand the singing, but you'll surely get a kick in the sack when you hear it. One track that I still change the dial for is Hendrix's Little Wing:erk: , not matter how many versions of this track surface, these god damn bells ruin it. I prefer Stevie Ray Vaughan's instrumental version. :worship:

Is this old school Purple or new Purple with Steve Morse on guitar? Just curious. I likes me some DP now and again but I've never heard them with Morse on guitar....But you're right, the old stuff is that much better when you haven't heard it in a while and I'm glad to see you haven't forgotten Uncle Ted! FREE FOR ALL!!! (My favorite Nuge song) Rock on swine!

sixxswine said:
One track that I still change the dial for is Hendrix's Little Wing:erk: , not matter how many versions of this track surface, these god damn bells ruin it. I prefer Stevie Ray Vaughan's instrumental version. :worship:
I definately prefer Derek & The Dominoes' cover to the original...the former is quite grand and majestic sounding, while the latter is somewhat naff and wimpy to me.

Deep Purple are so killer, esp. Mk II & III. I still need to listen to my copy of Come Taste The Band though :erk:

Since I never hear radio I never burn out songs, and even those that had been played to the point of exhaustion are still good as new when it comes to Deep Purple.

I heard a lot the band last week

Deep Purple - "The House Of Blue Light"
Deep Purple - "In Concert With The London Symphony Orchestra"
Deep Purple - "Bananas"
Deep Purple - "Come Hell Or High Water"

And I have more for next week (I'm doing a rockathon while typing my thesis).

Deep Purple is awsome their latest effort "Bananas" is one of the freshest albums of the band in a long, long time. Is not the classic Mk.II stuff but is great rockish music, Gillan still rumbles and Airey is a worthy replacement of Lord. Morse has make his own mark in the band since "Purpendicular" so I won't compare him to Blackmore, is another thing and is good in its own right.

I have heard DP live twice, first on the "Purpendicular" tour and then when they just got Airey on keys, that day Joe Satriani jumped on stage and it was a hellish concert with the six guys aboard. DP is the genuine thing, rock forever!

DEEP PURPLE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my all-time faves! Machine Head and Burn are their shining moments, IMO, but you can't really go wrong with them. Every album has some good in it. And their new one is pretty solid. Not as hard as their last one, "Abandon", but it's pretty good. They try to go for a more melodic direction this time around, and not concentrate on full on rocking, even thought it has it's moments, but what's there is good.

Wow, no mention of Perfect Strangers in this thread. I'm not a huge DP fan, need to investigate them more, but I do very much like PS. It being released in the mid 80's may have something to do with it.

I can't stand the Perfect Strangers album...mind you I've only listened to it once, it seemed so devoid of life...

Perfect Strangers is a good album, definately one of the better "reunion" albums, but it isn't their best, not by a long shot. The title track and "Knockin' At Your Backdoor" are still concert staples and deservingly so, as they both rule, but the rest of the stuff falls just short of those two songs, they just lack the hook. Good album, though, just not great.