Deep Purple Tuesday Night, Denver

Wheezer

Apr 18, 2005
Colorado
Thin Lizzy was supposed to be the support act but we got a local band instead. They weren't very good, to my ears. I don't know what happened to TL but it would have been nice to see them too, no matter the lineup.

DP, OTOH, blew the roof off the place. Funny how a bunch of old geezers still have enough in the tank to show a the youngsters how it's done. There were quite a few Old Schoolers with graying hair, patched, denim jackets that were obviously pulled from the back corner of the closet for the show. The nice surprise was the number of younger fans. They were definitely not the majority but they held their own nicely.

The setlist was a very nice mix of old and new. Favorites of mine were "Knockin' at your Back Door", "Perfect Strangers", "Highway Star", and the obvious, must-be-included "Smoke on the Water." The surprise was "Hush" as the final encore. I did not see that one coming.

The individual players were much better than I expected them to be. Ian Gillan did not hit all the notes but he hit far more than I thought he would, given the difficulty of some of the songs. Roger Glover more than held up his end and added a fair bit to the overall stage presence. Ian Paice was a freakin' mad man. Steve Morse filled Blackmore's shoes nicely and his solo was one of the best I've seen in a while. There was continuity to it rather than a mish mash of riffs and blistering fingering up and down the neck. I was really apprehensive about John Lord being replaced with Don Airy. Lord's key style is a very integral part of DP for me. Airy didn't toy with Lord's sound much, carried it off nicely and added his own touches.

Typical metal (rock) show for me -- show up solo, start talking to someone there, and make a new friend, if only for the evening. I met a dude that delivers seafood from Denver to resort towns in the mountains. He managed to win tickets, drive the work truck down from the mountains, using their gas, and sell the extra ticket for beer money.

Oh yeah, DP can still deliver the goods! I can't stop watching their most recent DVD, Live in Montreaux. I watch it at least once a week, it's so addictive. Great video, great sound, great performance.

These geezers prove that you're never too old to rock out!

Indeed. I saw them with both Lord and Airey and both time they rock my socks off. One of the great bands to see live no matter when or where.

Glad you enjoy it Brent ;)

I bought Rapture of the Deep and still listen to it from time to time. Old time Steve Morse fan here, so to me theres no filling Blackmores shoes but rather "step aside this is how we do it now", and I am an old Blackmore fan too but I quickly moved on from Page/Blackmore and others when DiMeola & Morse "came to town". On Rapture I thought Gillan was the weakest link, suprisingly because in the early 70's I felt he was in the top three with Plant(1) and Byron(3) for range, intense wailin', and expression. His work on JCS was awsome. "Why should you want to know ? What do you care about the future ?" sent chills down the spine. "Lazy" all time favorite DP song.

Seen DP several times over recent years, and they have never disappointed. Love the Morse era albums, although Rapture didn't grab me that much...

Don't feel bad about not catching Thin Lizzy. I'm a huge TL fan, and a huge Sykes fan...but the last time I saw them, it was a pretty lackluster performance, which was disappointing...

Rock on!

Apparently DP will be playing in my hometown in November, which is by itself a small miracle cause foreign artists dont come here as often... :)
I'll surely go if I'm not out of town on that day, but I feel I won't kick myself if I miss them. Somehow it lost the magic without Blackmore and Lord, not to mention creativity... It all went downwards after Perfect Strangers for me, aside for a few great tunes. 1995 Rainbow album puts post-Strangers DP to shame IMO...

Cool, I heard they are doing great these days. Maybe need to pick a show if they come in the neighbourhood, been a very long time since I saw them live...

Apparently DP will be playing in my hometown in November, which is by itself a small miracle cause foreign artists dont come here as often... :)
I'll surely go if I'm not out of town on that day, but I feel I won't kick myself if I miss them. Somehow it lost the magic without Blackmore and Lord, not to mention creativity... It all went downwards after Perfect Strangers for me, aside for a few great tunes. 1995 Rainbow album puts post-Strangers DP to shame IMO...

SickBoy, check out Purpendicular or Bananas...if those don't move you, then don't bother any further...

Just a suggestion...

Rock on!