Define "Having a life".

I all read your different kinds of views about 'having a life' and it made me think about a lot of stuff.

Sometimes I think I have no life, but on the other hand it seemes that I'm also a lucky one.
I just have a few but very close friends. but it starts to fall apart a bit. Most of them are engaged or they are already married, have bought a house, built a house etc. so our meetings are often just reduced to have a cup of coffee and some cake on on a weekdays evening. And if they go out on the weekend is just in couples.
At the moment my job pisses me off, quite often because I work a lot (too much?) and one of my friends already asked me, if I´m married with the company. :(
I spend a lot of my wages for traveling. I hate having a 2 weeks 'club-holiday' with just switching between bar/pool/beach.
Sometimes I prefere to pack my stuff, just book the first one or two nights in a hostel or something like that and then decide where to go next after arriving. Some people call me crazy because of this, but I need this to get my mind cleared from all of this everyday business. Traveling alone is some kind of hermitage to me and I don't want to miss it. I'm learning finnish for almost 3 years but my finnish language skills are still poor so I hope reading and maybe travelling to finnland will help to improve my skills a bit. My spanish got a lot better during my stays in spain, so maybe this works for my finnish too ;)

So yes I think I have a life even if it is a bit difficult at the moment....

And sorry for my poor english, I hope I didn't do too many mistakes.

Get a life is just a common phrase thats used to tell people to get out more with friends and social. The question "do i have a life" is just a way of asking yourself do I social enough? or do i spend my time playing games and guitar. you all start like digging into it when its realy just simple phrase.

I dont think forums can be clasified as having a life, but using msn and meeting the people thats on your friends list in real life is very much socializing.

I agree with what most people are saying on here that having a life is pretty much doing whatever makes you happy. I just never really get when the people who mainly use the phrase 'get a life' seem to be either scalls who spend their nights hanging around bus stops/ outside the off license* (sp? :s) just shouting 'yer mam' and shagging each other for 50p and a lift, or like people who spend their whole time out clubbing whatever off their faces on all kinds of pills.
I'm happy(ish) with my life, I'm surrounded by loving, supporting people, I have people who are special to me, I have one person who I want to spend the rest of my life with, I can sing in tune, I'm *trying* to learn Finnish, it's going a little slow, but I'm trying...I have a hot selection of cds and can buy ale and cigarettes along the way when I need to. Granted I know I will feel alot better and more fulfilled when one aspect of my life is sorted out and I have plans to start studying again next September.

I dont agree with -> having a life means doing what makes you happy.
It means fucking get out more and social ffs. If a computer nurd spends all week in his dungeon doing math and computer shit and only has his mother to talk 2 and he likes it (has no trouble with it) he does not have a life metaphoricaly speaking.

DeathPact said:
so to conclude, having a life means to talk to other people around you often.
It has fuckall to do with what makes you happy ffs

yeah but what if most people around you don't share your deepest attitudes/feelings and way of thinking..and those who do live too far away to see them often?!
maybe that makes me half alive :loco:

Sister Of Sorrow said:
yeah but what if most people around you don't share your deepest attitudes/feelings and way of thinking..and those who do live too far away to see them often?!
maybe that makes me half alive :loco:

Are you asking me if you have a life?
lets see do you know what it means when i say, Im stoked? or that guitar is the shit, or bush is a faggot or get a life, then yes you have one.

but if you thought it meant
im stoked : what are you bleeding? what happend
or that guitar is the shit : why is it shit?
or bush is a faggot : no he is the president of the usa.
or get a life : I have a life ? wtf ?

Then you need to get out more comprende!?

To have a life simply means to own yourself and not to be answerable to anyone. Conformists don't have a life, they're answerable to their group and are what most pub goers are.

Well, having a life...
Everyone who is doing things they like, are having a life.

I enjoy taking pictures... i'm not doing anything else lately.
I'm also enjoying playing guitar, but not so much as taking pics, i don't have time for my guitar anymore since i'm addicted to old russian camera's.

Some people are gamers, sitting 24/7 in front of their RPG.
If they like it, they're happy, havin' their life.

But what i was thinking... discussing things on forums... is that having a life?
I'm on a board where i have 12700 posts...
And i'm on like 15 boards registered... (with not thát much posts as that other board but hey)

Dikkie said:
But what i was thinking... discussing things on forums... is that having a life?
I'm on a board where i have 12700 posts...
And i'm on like 15 boards registered... (with not thát much posts as that other board but hey)

Yes it is.

I believe that written dialogue is a far more effective way of communicating than spoken dialogue.

You are more likely to show your true feelings and communicate information in a more logical and coherent form.

For some people like me who find interacting difficult in the real world due to my Asperger's Syndrome, forums like UM are one of the only places where I can get social fulfiulment. How can you say that those people have no life?

Profanity said:
How can you say that those people have no life?
Well, in a way they're quit asocial to come outside and discuss their filosophy in the local pub with mates.

On the other hand, on the board where i'm registered on, we ofthen have forum meetings, going out, ice-skating, going to the movies, concerts, festivals, ...
And that's a good way to meet new interesting people irl who you probably wouldn't have met otherwise.