Definition of CoB's style?

Stun said:
Maybe some black metal growlers do it Alexi's way, but all the ones I've ever heard do it the wrong way. Alexi does it the fucking hard way that takes years and years to do... anyone, I mean -anyone- can do a black metal voice with a week or two of practice (it won't last long tho).

Would you consider Children of Bodom to be Melodic Death Metal or Black Metal though? Anyway, it was just an opinion.

dont fucking tell me you cannot hear power metal in bodom.. silent night bodom night anyone?
nowadays they're more heavy and "punk rock from hell" just fits i think! otherwise som kind of thrash maybe?

alexi sad once in an interview that children of bdom is a mix between melodic deathmetal and powermetal (around hatebreeder) and it makes sense

Here's what I think:

Melodic Death/Power Metal is the basis for their music, and there is a hint of black metal (only in the vocal style, which isn't as prevalent on HCDR), and I would call a lot of Laiho's solos neoclassical or clasically influenced, but they're not a neoclassical band. That's about it.

Hatebreeder is also power metal-ish. But it boils down to melodic death metal, I'd say, cuz I've always put them in the same league with In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, and Soilwork.

Fucking hate to compare bands with other bands... Cauz that's what we are doin' when you give the style they play a name, I just call it COB style... That's it...
Cheerz

Needled24Seven said:
do you guys like to smoke a lot of crack? none of it is power metal! have you happend to hear power metal rhapsody, luca turilli, stratovarius, sonata arctica thats power metal. COB is not.

They're not wholly power metal but you can hear it in some of their songs, mostly circa Hatebreeder.

word spiritcrusher

if you cant hear the powermetal in some songs in hatebreeder your different! :)

powermetal doesnt has to be rhapsody and those kind of trumpetplaying shitbands!

and if yout hink children of bodom is pure melodic death you should try listen to the band that invented the whol melodic deathmetal genre: At the gates. especially slaughter of the soul..

Unbelievable when "Metalheads" can't even recognize a style based on instrumentation: Bodom (atleast before HCDR) are a slightly Finnish Melodeath inspired (aka: Eternal tears of Sorrow) Symphonic Speed/Power metal band with Harsh Vocals, and also some neo-classical & 80's Melodic Hardrock elements...

Ex of Speed Metal: Judas Priest - Painkiller, Helloween - Walls of Jericho, Kruiz - Kruiz 1.
Ex of Power Metal: Running Wild - Pile of Skulls, Blind Guardian - Tales from the Twilight World, Morgana Lefay - The Sanctified

What most of you dorks consider "Power Metal" ala: Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Edenbridge, Angra etc... is a completely watered down form of Keepers era Helloween happy-power metal, mixed with POP, Melodic Hardrock, More fantasy-symphonic shit than Bal-Sagoth can stomach, and 5-7 Finnish or Italian fairies, I and many others like to call this "Flower Metal", or "Flower Power Metal", listen to Helstar's "Nosferatu" and then tell me you have a clue what the fuck power metal is, bitch. Flower-Power is actually kindof cool if your a D&D freak or just like really upbeat, cheesy, unserious stuff, but real Power Metal, is complete trad-metal based OWNAGE, is melodic-guitar based- while Flowerpower is vocal & keyboard based, are ya'll deaf? quit giving into popular (moronic) idea's, get your shit straight.

HCDR adds some Thrash & Groove elements, cuts down the symphonic & power metal parts and makes the keys more like an atmospheric or catchiness thing, so its more like a Extreme-Vocalled Finnish Thrash/Speed metal style... notice that Alexi seems to have a Zakk Wylde worship section for the first half of the album.

Sorry to come off on a rant, but what dumbass decided CoB were Melodeath? that would require them to be part Death Metal, and part Traditional Metal, and while slightly influenced by both, they are neither. Bow before the genre Guru.

neoclassical and powermetal go hand in hand pretty well. Thats why I think a lot of people like to call CoB powermetal, since there definately are (or were, not too much on HCDR) elements of neoclassical there. I think the only reason people call them "melodic death" is because of Alexi's vocals, otherwise their music is much more thrash oriented to me, espeically on HCDR. When I think of death metal I think of a band like Nile and I certainly dont hear that in CoB's music.

And Angra rocks :p as "happy" as they are, the musicianship in that band is top notch "dream theater" quality stuff.

Yes... I do like the description Neoclassical, although normally I just call them melodic death.

On Hate Crew Deathroll, their style is completely unlike their other 3 albums... I wouldn't know what to call it. I'm one of those people who just can't tell the differences between labels...

But there a is a LOT of classical influence in their music, especially on Something Wild... yep.

id say they are melodic black metal...id say they kinda crossover into the worlds of black and death metal...but id say they lean to the black metal side more...not so much growling as in most death metal

My last post seem to disapear, but Ill tell it once again.

This whole gender/style thing is hilarious, its more individual for each band. I must admit that there are obviously strictly death/neo/black metal bands, but cob is really one of a kind. Maybe Alexi just cant sing clear vocals, so he immitates death? But I dont believe in that