delay compensation in PT8

Nope, not true if you have heavy reverbs or delays and drumagog and a bunch of other plugins that give ata problems. I used Ata for a minute but it was more of a hassle because of not working through some plugins and it throwing shit way out of wack. So i just went back to shifting tracks manually. This is just my experience.

Digi just needs to step into 2010 aka the real world soon. Ive already started testing other programs because they still don't have delay compensation.

Aren't you supposed to bypass those kinds of plug-ins to make ATA work? Bypassing them would prevent the plug-in from degrading the purity of the ping sound, but it wouldn't remove any of the latency that the plug-in is creating, which of course is necessary to measure the ping's timing accurately.

Aren't you supposed to bypass those kinds of plug-ins to make ATA work? Bypassing them would prevent the plug-in from degrading the purity of the ping sound, but it wouldn't remove any of the latency that the plug-in is creating, which of course is necessary to measure the ping's timing accurately.

Yes this is exactly what your supposed to do. Plugs still report their latency when they are bypassed. :headbang:

Yea i know about muting verbs and delays and other effects as well. Still had problems even when muted. Ive also tried messing with mix knob in drumagog to let ping through. Some times ata worked great but then some times when i would open a session and ping (a session it worked fine on the day before with ata) and shit would just get all kinds of fucked up.

Shit yeah, you just know that the latency for LE is built in so you have a reason to by HD. lol

True....... but with every other daw having it now, things need to change soon. Plus computers like the I7 can handle just as much as any Protools hd rig. Times are changing and Digi/Avid will need to adapt or they will lose a lot of business in the future!

Yea i know about muting verbs and delays and other effects as well. Still had problems even when muted. Ive also tried messing with mix knob in drumagog to let ping through. Some times ata worked great but then some times when i would open a session and ping (a session it worked fine on the day before with ata) and shit would just get all kinds of fucked up.

I don't use drumagog so I could be completely wrong here, but if you are triggering drumagog with midi then it acts as a VI so you need to put ATA after the drumagog insert.

I don't see Avid implementing (or rather allowing) ADC in LE/M-Powered any time soon. Especially because of native systems giving PT:HD a run for its money. They'll beat that dead horse as long as it's possible... just like Line 6 does it.

I'm glad this thread was posted because I just started using ATA. I still haven't fully grasped the groups/aux thing, I'm going to work through the example on page 5 of the manual later when I'm actually in front of my DAW.

A question for you guys: Do you use ATA while tracking? There's instructions at the bottom of page 6 of the manual. It should work but it's a little confusing. If everything is time compensated so all the tracks are in time with each other, and the over all latency is say 1000 samples, if I track along with that all I need to do is shift it back 1000 samples and I'm in time. Here's where I get confused, what about the PT latency? If I track with a buffer of 64 or 128 samples should I just add that to the 1000 samples or does PT take care of this?

I have a major gripe with the demo version of this software, every instance of ATA triggers its own burst of white noise at random intervals. These bursts are too close together. I was testing it on a session that I already had, not a lot of tracks, 10-15 maybe, and I couldn't even get a ping because every time I tried the ping was interrupted by the white noise bursts so I went ahead and bought it.

I don't use drumagog so I could be completely wrong here, but if you are triggering drumagog with midi then it acts as a VI so you need to put ATA after the drumagog insert.

except triggering drumagog with midi doesn't work in PT 8.
or id still be using it.

ATA is a huge pain in the ass if you are working on a big sessions! You will spend more time messing with this shit all around your mixer bypassing and debypassing reverbs etc. I've just sold my UAD and bought Waves CLA instead and some other stuff with no delay and I am happy now i almost always use the plugs withoput a delay and if one have it (some gates have smth like 68samples of delay) I'll just nudge them and that's it!

ATA is a huge pain in the ass if you are working on a big sessions! You will spend more time messing with this shit all around your mixer bypassing and debypassing reverbs etc. I've just sold my UAD and bought Waves CLA instead and some other stuff with no delay and I am happy now i almost always use the plugs withoput a delay and if one have it (some gates have smth like 68samples of delay) I'll just nudge them and that's it!

yeah cla is on the shopping list.
Sounds better than UAdD anyway.

the best way to compensate for Delay in Le is.... (trust me ive tried all the alterantives)
Shift click on the volume tab under the fader of the track that needs compensating in the mix window
common times for uad plugs etc are normall like 1024 or something like that....
Trim start of the region on the track in question to bar 1 (you left some space at the begining of the session right??) use A in key command focus for this.
Click on the region.
Press Alt+h
Choose earlier.
Type the ammount of samples it needs shifting..
DONE. if you need to put the region back; id reccomend duplicating the playlist before you start this process, or simply use the spot mode to put it back where it came from.
I can do pics if you need.

Works very good! Thanks!