Deliverance: One of Top Albums of the Year in Star-Ledger

Jul 10, 2002
Visit site
I was just reading the New Jersey Star-Ledger this morning, and I noticed there was an article on the top 10 Pop Albums of 2002. That looked interesting, so I flipped over to it.

I was pleasantly not-really-surprised to see Songs for the Deaf at number 1, but I was extremely surprised to see Deliverance at #7! I never expected Opeth to garner that much recognition, but I'm glad they have.

Isn't it weird how Opeth and Deliverance are winding up in all these places you wouldn't expect, when this is a less accessable album (well, I think so) than BWP. Maybe BWP got everyone and their mom into the band, and now this is the result. Fine with me.

@ CK: What were the other albums? Were they pop, or alternative/Nu-crap or what?

@ NAD: Not quite, I think D is more atmospheric, and would appeal to a wider audience. It isnt that much different to BWP though, but maybe it just has that 'buy me, slut' effect :D

\m/

Here's the list (from one of two critics who wrote):

1. Songs for the Deaf - QOTSA
2. Home - Dixie Chicks
3. Under Construction - Missy Elliott
4. Have You Fed the Fish - Badly Drawn Boy
5. Velocity of Sound - Apples in Stereo
6. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
7. Deliverance - Opeth
8. A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay
9. Veni Vidi Vicious - The Hives
10. Scarlet's Walk - Tori Amos

So yeah, for the most part, they're the odd man out. Maybe the critics are trying to make up for the fact that they missed out on all the other Opeth albums?

Originally posted by The Crimson King
Here's the list (from one of two critics who wrote):

1. Songs for the Deaf - QOTSA
2. Home - Dixie Chicks
3. Under Construction - Missy Elliott
4. Have You Fed the Fish - Badly Drawn Boy
5. Velocity of Sound - Apples in Stereo
6. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - The Flaming Lips
7. Deliverance - Opeth
8. A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay
9. Veni Vidi Vicious - The Hives
10. Scarlet's Walk - Tori Amos

So yeah, for the most part, they're the odd man out. Maybe the critics are trying to make up for the fact that they missed out on all the other Opeth albums?

fucking weird....

You wanna know something creepier? They were playing Deliverance (the song) on my towns teeny-bopper pop station the other day :eek:

What the hell is wrong with the world???? That's just... really really beyond strange. You'd think if they were airing Opeth's material they'd be playing material from Still Life, like Face of Melinda or somesuch.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
There's no way in hell "Deliverance" is better than The Hives.
Very true. :lol:

Opeth on mainstream radio... that's just... wow. Shit, good for them!

On a somewhat related note, I was extremely surpised (and still am) about Tool's huge rise in popularity with the release of Lateralus, considering that it has got to be the most inaccessible Tool album ever, as far as mainstream audiences go. Considering that they have seriously dipped into King Crimson and Pink Floyd territory I was rather surprised at it's massive appeal.

EDIT: I'm considering to consider to stop saying considering, considering its overuse in my post. :D