Deliverance review from metalbite.com is UP!!!

I thought that was a direct and truly honest review. I know that By the Pain I See in Others is supposed to be a weird heavy song with numerous changes in it... but it really doesn't flow well and the individual parts within it aren't exactly mesmorizing. I do like that circus music bit with the vocals; I actually would like the song more if there were more trippy parts like that in it, rather than simply grinding it out repeatedly with the same Rise to Submission part.

I do look at this as an experimental album, especially with Damnation having been recorded at around the same time, so I don't judge it as harshly. Mike and co. worked very hard on this so even if it's not my cup of tea, it doesn't mean I respect them any less for it.

I agree with the review..The review is forthright and honest..Opeth sacrificed some of their tear jearking emotion for an all out riff orgy as the songs lose the melancholy emotion and feel of older Opeth tunes....Deliverance rocks, as Opeth rocks like never before, riff orgy into the mosh pit, as the acoustic interludes have been saved for Deliverance..I hope..It's a less surprising Cd as the character of Opeth is the contrast of beautiful acoustic/progressive death doom with the alternating clean and death vocals..However, Opeth refuse to let these contrasts become formula and have added other elements (latin beats, psychedelic, and thrash riffs in place of the acoustic interludes..) I miss the emotion and contrast too..Opeth have moved on, for now..Good review..Hails..-l-

Originally posted by deathbearer
I agree with the review..The review is forthright and honest..Opeth sacrificed some of their tear jearking emotion for an all out riff orgy as the songs lose the melancholy emotion and feel of older Opeth tunes....Deliverance rocks, as Opeth rocks like never before, riff orgy into the mosh pit, as the acoustic interludes have been saved for Deliverance..I hope..It's a less surprising Cd as the character of Opeth is the contrast of beautiful acoustic/progressive death doom with the alternating clean and death vocals..However, Opeth refuse to let these contrasts become formula and have added other elements (latin beats, psychedelic, and thrash riffs in place of the acoustic interludes..) I miss the emotion and contrast too..Opeth have moved on, for now..Good review..Hails..-l-

Couldn't have said it better...

Originally posted by Opethfan1980
I couldn't agree more. Oceanic is terrible.

As for the Opeth review, it was well-written, and raised some good points.

can you elaborate about the word "terrible" ?

it was a good review and Oceanic rocks my socks :D I´ve only listened to deliverance once, about an hour ago actually so I can´t really comment on it...

It's a good review, but unfounded, as I have just learned myself --

I earlier made posts that were somewhat anti-deliverance. close to 70 listens later (geez that took some doing) i am reconsidering. I think the problem was the volume knob was not all the way up. Yes, usually you can listen to opeth at moderate and even semi-low volumes, but Deliverance is one of those albums which must permeate every one of your 5 senses so completely as to block out any ability to think. unluckily, i live in an apartment complex and the neighbors dont seem to like my late-night music review sessions.

Originally posted by Eld
Thanks for the comments Changso and Cynical. I'm afraid you were both beat by the intelligence shown by Master's Apprentices though...
Well, the review was well articulated and such, but it didn't really say anything I haven't read before. I didn't agree with most of the points, but it is by far the best non-fanboy review so far, good job.

Oh, and my post was serious whether or not it was intelligent is debateable, but a review site is usually judged on its reviews, and I'll trust reviews who share somewhat the same opinion..and I'd give Oceanic about 3/10 max..

Thanks Master's Apprentices.

Surely you can't expect every reviewer to share the same opinions as yourself. I'm not the only writer at our website anyway. There are two others, Chris and Jack, who are pretty active. I hope you don't just dismiss Metalbite because I love "Oceanic".

A 3/10 really? Man, that's really harsh. I can understand if you don't like the album, but is the album that low of a quality? Certainly not.

I reviewed "Oceanic", if anyone didn't pick that up.

Although I don't fully agree with it, that was a good review. So far, I do think the album lacks some cohesion, for whatever reason.

I do agree the album could probably have used a bit more acoustics in it, however. And the production has really been getting to me. Mikael's voice is amazing (and improving, no less), but the production doesn't focus on it at all. Because the balance is a bit swayed on Deliverance, because Mikael's contributes have to be split from Deliverance to Damnation, it doesn't seem to make the album feel as fulfilled. Curiously though, I wonder what it will be like to play Deliverance and Damnation one after the other, if that makes it feel more "full."

Originally posted by Eld
Thanks Master's Apprentices.

Surely you can't expect every reviewer to share the same opinions as yourself. I'm not the only writer at our website anyway. There are two others, Chris and Jack, who are pretty active. I hope you don't just dismiss Metalbite because I love "Oceanic".

A 3/10 really? Man, that's really harsh. I can understand if you don't like the album, but is the album that low of a quality? Certainly not.

I reviewed "Oceanic", if anyone didn't pick that up.
I've found more reviews that I do agree with, and will stick your site in my reviews bookmark folder.

One site that I do like is allmusic.com, it has very very rarely ever let me down with it's ratings or similar artists and has been the catalyst in me finding so many great bands. The reason I mention this because many sites tend to be the exact opposite, I've bought quite a few albums on some of the jaw-droppingly brilliant reviews I've read, Oceanic was one of them. I bought it without even knowing what to expect really, I was just told of brilliant things like Opeth meets Mogwai and that kind of thing. When I'm not being bitter for buying an album on the spin and it turning out to be a bad one, then I'd give Oceanic 6/10. Because if you stop everything you are doing and concentrate, it's a much better album. The first two songs are absolutely amazing, but I find myself getting bored the further into the album it gets. Perhaps it needs more work! And I'll be apologising for my remarks at a later date..I've had to do that more often than I'd like :)

Edit - heh, deliverance is #1 in your Top 50..

Hmm, some good points there, but your point about 'a fair judgement' and 'for absent friends' being the 'black sheep'?? I wouldnt agree with that at all. I view those two tracks as interludes, even 'a fair judgement', a kind of break of the sensory onslaught that are the other 4 songs. So in that respect, theyre welcome. Furthermore, 'a fair judgement' is a truly amazing song IMO, one of the band's best.

Still, you raise some good points but, although you mightn't think its Opeth's best, it's still a damn sight better than almost anything else released this year, which is why I would probably give it a 9. I also feel it's better than Blackwater Park...

Ah shite i'm droning on, ahem :D

I agree with 'A Fair Judgement' being one of the better songs on the album.

Other releases that are way better than "Deliverance" for me would be Isis' "Oceanic", Mastadon's "Remission", and Arcturus' "The Sham Mirrors".

My fav. tracks are "A Fair Judgement" and "Deliverance". The review had the virtues of a good review - he threw his opinions out in the open and explained why he felt the way he did. My opinion does differ from his, but I can see why he thinks the way he does. Good review, for sure.

Thanks Huevo.

I'd have to say 'Deliverance' might also be my fav with 'A Fair Judgement'. Maybe 'Master's Apprentices'. Hard to tell, since there are things I don't like about each.