Demilich, I invite you in

Matt/Bertrand ... Steeleye Span - Below The Salt

Yep, got that one as well as Please to see the King, pretty neat stuff. In the same vein I'd advise to check Fotheringay (Fairport Convention side project), Tickawinda (more choir-oriented) and of course my brilliant countrymates of Malicorne (see somewhere in the reco thread)

Speaking of "real prog", Gentle Giant definitely do it for me. So do Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM for da noobs), kind of Italy's answer to (olde) King Crimson:

I'll make a thread about the whole German kraut scene also, bunch of invaluable gems in there...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just downloaded Genesis' Selling England By the Pound and PFM's Per Un Amico.

Listening to the Genesis right now, not much to say yet.

PFM: I have one album already, the English "version" of Per Un Amico which is called Photos of Ghosts. An old LP I picked up in Montreal last year along with Marillion's Fugazi and a bunch of metal albums. I should have grabbed the copy of The Incredible String Band's U! while I was there :(

Never heard U...

Don’t want to dig too deep into their half-baked period. Changing Horse and I Looked up were a nasty challenge to my good will. Maybe U is good, though. Is it? U tell me…

I actually haven't heard it either, but have read some very positive reviews.

Also, "White Bird" from Changing Horses is one of my favourite songs lately. You don't like that one?

Gotta revisit, but at the time I checked those albums - i.e. when i was heavily into Wee Tam/Big Huge + Liquid... - it just did not measure up. Single songs sure grabbed my ear but as said, I have to get back to it with a clean mind.

Def their two best, Swizzle. Followed swiftly by NC, Lamb and possibly Trick. Also, Trespass is quite underrated. It'd be interesting to see how their sound would have developed had Anthony Phillips stayed in the band.

Def their two best, Swizzle. Followed swiftly by NC, Lamb and possibly Trick. Also, Trespass is quite underrated. It'd be interesting to see how their sound would have developed had Anthony Phillips stayed in the band.

Q4T

Also....SEbTP includes some of their absolute best material, and imho best prog material ever period, but Foxtrot as a whole may be the better ALBUM.

I disagree with it being a better album on a whole, I find it quite disjointed until the end. I've also not listened to Foxtrot as many times as Selling England by the Pound.

The great thing about Foxtrot is that it gets better track by track until the final 24 min orgasm that is side two...

I'm not familiar with Fresh Maggots, I'm going to check them out.

Also, opinions on Pearls Before Swine?