Demo-ing on a Boss Digital 8 track

EndlessLamentGuitar

New Metal Member
Jun 20, 2006
My band and I have been working on some rough demos on a Boss BR-864 8 Track digital studio that one of the guitarists has. We don't have any high end gear, and won't be able to get any for some time. I'm not sure how good a sound is ultimately achievable with this setup, but I'd like to get a few suggestions and advice so we can make better recordings than what we've done already, without spending money that we don't have at the moment. Our myspace page, www.myspace.com/endlesslament, has 2 "complete" songs and 1 very rough demo that's just guitar and drums. These were done several months ago (and in a rushed period of less than a day for each song), and we've since been busy writing and practicing new songs, as well as playing shows, but the plan is to record the new material shortly. I'm not sure what mics were used, so I'll try to get that info tomorrow, but what I can tell you is that the rhythm guitars were done on a line 6 spider 2x12 combo, 2 tracks total with one on the left and one on the right. The leads were also done on this amp, except for the first solo on "Greed, Thy Savior" which was done with a Carvin MTS. The mics that we have distort heavily when placed close to a cranked amp, so we used the Line 6 to get a decent tone at low volumes. You can adjust the eq after recording on the 8 track, but the system is very very basic, so again, I'm iffy on how much more we can do with the sound. Thanks for any help/advice/constructive criticism.
- Matt, guitarist for Endless Lament