Demo of how master volume affects guitar sound.

I was really wanting to hear a 10 lol. Great video man. I feel like the speaker breakup really contributes to the tone after 4

Great video thanks!

I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm wondering how much is coming from the speaker behaviour versus how much is coming from the power tubes... No way to verify that, but I'm just thinking

The sound seems to get thinner/flatter after 6. Otherwise it's not a big difference tonally. I suppose the pre-amp might have had some effect on that?

Great video thanks!

I'm just thinking out loud, but I'm wondering how much is coming from the speaker behaviour versus how much is coming from the power tubes... No way to verify that, but I'm just thinking

Didn't think of that but it's a good question. I'd say, with no certainty at all, the speaker plays a small part. I guess one could verify it using a solid state amp.

EDIT: thanks a lot for the test, as always!

Thanks guys.
The speaker will ,of course, change response at higher volume,
and don't forget the poor old 57 in front of it, enduring painful dB levels

Great video thanks!

I did a similar test with my Palmer PDI-03 load box without speakers. I kranked the master on my Dual Rec and Bugera 6260 to hear how the tone changes. With both, the midrange got boosted and the presence got reduced when going up. It got muddier, less crisp, attack got rounded.
I liked it best at about 1/3 of the volume and did not like it at all from about 1/2 and up.

I did a similar test with my Palmer PDI-03 load box without speakers. I kranked the master on my Dual Rec and Bugera 6260 to hear how the tone changes. With both, the midrange got boosted and the presence got reduced when going up. It got muddier, less crisp, attack got rounded.
I liked it best at about 1/3 of the volume and did not like it at all from about 1/2 and up.

Thanks for the input, and it's actually interesting, because Dual Rectifiers, in my mind, are quite fucked up! :p

I mean, you are talking about the Master knob, which is the knob you have for every channel (I have the 3ch Rectifier in mind). It's obviously a great test to do.

But what about that Output knob? To me in the 3ch Rectifier, the Output knob is closer to a 6505 Master Volume knob, than the actual "Master" knobs you get on the 3ch Rectifier, which seems closer to the Channel Volume.

Anyway... those Rectifiers have always confused me haha... some weird witchcraft in there, which explain why it's complicated to get a great tone with them (but once you have one, it kills).

I have tested the global master volume (right of the Solo master), not the per-channel master on my 3ch DR.
To be honest, I just recently found out that the channel master has quite an influence on the tone as well (similar to what the global master does). This is very inconvenient, given that all the channels and modes have such different volume levels already. No way to balance level and tone between channels :-(.

I have tested the global master volume (right of the Solo master), not the per-channel master on my 3ch DR.
To be honest, I just recently found out that the channel master has quite an influence on the tone as well (similar to what the global master does). This is very inconvenient, given that all the channels and modes have such different volume levels already. No way to balance level and tone between channels :-(.

Ah ok I see. The Dual Rec I'm talking about isn't mine, it's my bandmate's. We concluded that the per channel master had a bigger effect on the tone, at least considering what we aimed for.

Therefore we prefer setting the per channel master to a level we like (I think it's around 11 o'clock on the 3rd channel) and we put the Output knob (main master I guess you can call it) at lower levels (8 o'clock issshhh I think).

We also have a Rivera Rockcrusher to use as an attenuator, however we determined that how it affects the tone (even with the compensating switches activated, for the bottom and brightness) is kinda counter-effective. What I mean is, we can crank the Output when using the RockCrusher, but we have some collateral damage to the tone (minor, but still). So all in all, cranking the Output with the RockCrusher or leaving it at 8 o'clock with no Rock Crusher is comparable in terms of tonal quality.