Detuning Slate toms?

Tommy Evans

Jul 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Anyone here detune Slate toms? Ive been recording myself and bands in low tunings lately (as low as drop A# and 7 strings in drop A) and I know that generally the lower the guitar tuning, the lower the toms should be tuned. So, just wondering if anyone has a go-to set of toms (mine are Qik Toms) and knows how low to tune them in accordance to the guitar tuning.

Yeah I have the Kontakt 3 that it came with and I know how to lower the pitch. What I'm asking (and I guess I couldve been clearer in my phrasing, my bad) is if you or anyone else has a rule of thumb as to HOW LOW to tune them given the guitar tuning.

For example: "Drop C tuning calls for toms to be detuned to X, and Drop A calls for toms to be detuned to Y."

I'm all for messing around and trying different things but I'd like to know if anyone's got starting points that usually work for them.

Tommy! I didnt know you were on here!

Come over to my place some time for some nerdy tech talk!

and Yes, I love detuning slate toms.

Whats up Seth!? I honestly think that is the first post I've seen from you where you were being an ass to someone, lawlz. I'd love to hang and nerd out with you but you're so hard to get a hold of!

Whats up Seth!? I honestly think that is the first post I've seen from you where you were being an ass to someone, lawlz. I'd love to hang and nerd out with you but you're so hard to get a hold of!

Sorry man, I'm busy I guess :(
but maybe we can hang this weekend and I can show you a bunch of slate stuff :)