ArroldW

Sound Engineer/Producer
Dec 22, 2010
San Diego
www.myspace.com
1. Detuned Series Toms
2. Shoulder City Toms
3. Black And Gold Truth Toms

All created from different kits, for different things; [detuned - lower tuning, ect]. Compared to Slate, at least for me, these toms are a lot harder for me to place in a drum mix. Don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am also just trying to everyone's take on how they are making this samples fit into their drum mixes. Eq? Clipper? Maxx Bass? Compression? Whats your way of processing these samples?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: sorry for misspelling Sturgis* in the title. My keyboard has got to go!

Found this for the detuned series toms when Joey just posted these samples.

Been using the toms in a production finally

I've found a few tweaks to make them fit better in the mix

On the detuned toms I apply this eq using waves r-eq

Gain -3
Frequency 125
Q low shelf

Gain -6
Frequency 400
Q 1.0

That helps control the low end on rolls and takes a little more box out of the coated heads.

And then I apply a +3 db @ 8 kHz with a Q of 1 for a little more attack seeing as how they are coated heads and the softer hits tend to get a little lost on crazier fills.

These toms really sound great when parallel compressed to. Really brings out the room mic that's baked into the sample.

Source: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/9087801-post84.html

1. Detuned Series Toms
2. Shoulder City Toms
3. Black And Gold Truth Toms

All created from different kits, for different things; [detuned - lower tuning, ect]. Compared to Slate, at least for me, these toms are a lot harder for me to place in a drum mix. Don't know what I am doing wrong, but I am also just trying to everyone's take on how they are making this samples fit into their drum mixes. Eq? Clipper? Maxx Bass? Compression? Whats your way of processing these samples?

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: sorry for misspelling Sturgis* in the title. My keyboard has got to go!

I usually don't have many problems fitting any of the toms into my mixes. They're pretty mix ready in my opinion. Besides clipping them, I occasionally might roll off some low end with a shelf or surgically remove a frequency that directly clashes with something else that's very mix specific. Maybe try a transient designer though, or some very light compression to make them pop more. But whatever you do, do not add maxxbass to any of those tom samples.. They come with that shit already applied very liberally by Joey.

I usually don't have many problems fitting any of the toms into my mixes. They're pretty mix ready in my opinion. Besides clipping them, I occasionally might roll off some low end with a shelf or surgically remove a frequency that directly clashes with something else that's very mix specific. Maybe try a transient designer though, or some very light compression to make them pop more. But whatever you do, do not add maxxbass to any of those tom samples.. They come with that shit already applied very liberally by Joey.

+1

Haha, I've done several songs where I haven't done ANYTHING to the Emmure toms (except leveling of course) and they sound great.
The MMI toms sound great solo'd, but are hard to get in a mix, which is why have never used them in a single song. Kinda regret that $12.50 purchase. Lol