Devin Townsend - "Accelerated Evolution"

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Yet another GREAT release by Inside Out! Man, it seems like I can't stop buying Inside Out releases lately. This new Devy album is really great and super-melodic! "Slow Me Down" would be my early favorite... which is catchy as hell!

I remember the first time I heard this guy on the Vai album and he blew my head off. I am probably most partial to the industrial stuff but enjoyed his last CD quite a bit as well. Also, the Soilwork production was fantastic as well.

Compared to his past work, what does it sound like?

I would say it's sonically similar to "Ocean Machine", though I like it better than that work... a little less ambiant and catchier too. This is a really poppy record at times... which is a good thing. Lush keyboards, dense guitars, absolutely powerful drumming... and of course, Devin's unique voice... he's really at the top of his game right now.

Hi all,

I picked up 'Accelerated Evolution' yesterday and am definitely impressed. I'd heard Devin on the Vai album but had been under the impression that his own material was heavier than I'd care for (and I believe this is probably the case with Strapping Young Lad.) I'm curious whether the previous Devin Townsend Band albums are in the same vein - heavy, but melodic. I do find that Devin's vocals grate on me at times, but I really like this album on a musical level, and enjoy his vocals when he steers clear of the shrieking.

Any recommendations on past Devin Townsend material?

Phil

Terria? was the last one I think and it was very easy to listen to. Check out the MP3.com page if it's still up.

Get "Terria"... it's a beautiful, lush album... though it starts off with a couple weird tracks. There is very minimal "shrieking". Great album.

Thew album rules. EKO is pretty cute.

Inside Out is SUPPOSED to release all the earlier albums (Ocean MAchine's Biomech, Devin's Infinity, Physicist, and Terria) in the US really soon, but Deron's been a lazy arsed webmaster and hasn't filled in the blanks on release info