DFH2 Dilemma...

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Alright, So I got a copy of DFH2, isntalled and everything, library in the right spot, but there's one problem.

When it boots up, it loads fine. Gets to the screen with the GUI keyboard and all, but that's it. I can't for the life of me figure out how to load a kit, or do ANYTHING with it. The manual is total shit, as well. I've looked all over online for some sort of help with this, and have come up with nothing.

Anyone familiar with DFH2 and this problem? I'm thinking I should just save for DFHS.

DSS3 said:
Alright, So I got a copy of DFH2, isntalled and everything, library in the right spot, but there's one problem.

When it boots up, it loads fine. Gets to the screen with the GUI keyboard and all, but that's it. I can't for the life of me figure out how to load a kit, or do ANYTHING with it. The manual is total shit, as well. I've looked all over online for some sort of help with this, and have come up with nothing.

Anyone familiar with DFH2 and this problem? I'm thinking I should just save for DFHS.

dude, if you click one of the empty spaces you can laod drumkiks adn shit like that dude. piece of cake.

How about posting over at the toontrack forum?

I'm not familiar with DFH2 but I have Superior, Custom & Vintage, DFH1. If I was to take a wild guess it sounds like you have a path set incorrectly.

This is fucking pissing me off. I purchased DFH2 and PTLE 6.4 crashes (no pun intended) every time I load cymbals into the drum array. Fucking piece of shit. I mean I spent $100 bucks on a piece of software that doesn't work. And I got like 2 gigs of Ram and still fucking crash crash crash. My computer never crashes. Enter DFH2. Fortunately refunds on software are easy to get. ALRIGHT!!!

Go to ToonTrack and install all the latest updates. Be sure to read the instructions very carefully with the installs and in the manual itself. Also, each new version of the software updates on the website is accompanied by a revised PDF format manual.

I'm having no problems with DFHS on my G5 over here, other than the fact that I'm not particularly crazy about their bizzarre MIDI implementation.

Kazrog said:
Go to ToonTrack and install all the latest updates. Be sure to read the instructions very carefully with the installs and in the manual itself. Also, each new version of the software updates on the website is accompanied by a revised PDF format manual.

I'm having no problems with DFHS on my G5 over here, other than the fact that I'm not particularly crazy about their bizzarre MIDI implementation.
yeah but they aren't having the problem with DFHS... they are having the problem with DFH2... which is a Native Instruments product really, in collaboration with Toontrack. the player for DFH2 is just a stripped down Kontakt player, and it is rather quirky.

Toontrack is a great company (no fanboyism intended) but those NI Kompakt modules are a nightmare.
DSS3, did you check the option where you can point the library location?

It's a N.I. thing! Those kompakt samplers are quite the mood breakers! I know everyone can't just go out and buy D.F.H.S. But, it's well worth it's weight in gold!!! And C&V is a KILLER library too. I'm fortunate to work along with Toontrack. And Olle, Mattias, and the gang have made D.F.H. a KILLER, but something about those Kompakt samplers seems to be what's causing major headaches amongst the D.F.H. II users. Unfortunately P.T.L.E. and any kompakt RTAS sampler has always been headache city! When I use P.T.L.E. my East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestras and Choirs (kompakt powered) act wierd too. Hopefully P.T.L.E. 7 will help out your problems some.

Good luck Genius and DSS3

So I caved in and now I'm running this fucker on Nuendo with much better results. Still though, a few midi generated sounds will cut out. Latency isn't an issue yet, and I can't figure that one out because before there was about a 1/2 second digi 001 --> nuendo latency thing going on. Good things happen when you reformat your hard drive. I'm not too used to programming midi, not with Nuendo anyway, though it is much easier than PTLE, that being said how can I reduce these midi errors? Do I need a separate midi soundcard? hmmm I feel so digitally challenged right now. FYI if I had spent as much time the past couple years practicing guitar as I have trying to figure out how to fix shit like this then I'd be on tour with Joe Satriani right now.

edit: my cpu use is <10% and DFH2 says I'm using 15MB RAM (mind you I have 2 gig sticks in there). How in the FUCK is this happening?!!!!

Genius Gone Insane said:
So I caved in and now I'm running this fucker on Nuendo with much better results. Still though, a few midi generated sounds will cut out. Latency isn't an issue yet, and I can't figure that one out because before there was about a 1/2 second digi 001 --> nuendo latency thing going on. Good things happen when you reformat your hard drive. I'm not too used to programming midi, not with Nuendo anyway, though it is much easier than PTLE, that being said how can I reduce these midi errors? Do I need a separate midi soundcard? hmmm I feel so digitally challenged right now. FYI if I had spent as much time the past couple years practicing guitar as I have trying to figure out how to fix shit like this then I'd be on tour with Joe Satriani right now.

edit: my cpu use is <10% and DFH2 says I'm using 15MB RAM (mind you I have 2 gig sticks in there). How in the FUCK is this happening?!!!!
if midi notes are cutting out on you it could be the polyphony setting.... polyphony = the number of simultaneous midi events that can be happening at any one moment... you'll likely need to raise the polyphony setting to a higher value.. try doubling it.

At the risk of sounding like a so-called noobie, nuendo is totally rad for this sort of thing. AFAIK in PTLE the only way to humanize your midi is by doing permanent changes to the midi track using that clumsy midi editor. Nuendo uses midi-type plugins which can be altered at any point with no permanent damage. I'm sure most of you know this already, but I just felt like sharing that for any other meatheads who are sick of using real drummers so much that they want use a fake drumkit. And it's kinda fun humanizing it to sound as bad as your real drummer haha \M/