DI Battery Change

eeeeek, i cant believe i haven't been doing this :mad: I been replacing batteries like crazy, so it hasn't really affected my sound... noticeably anyway! I just did 1 album and 3 Ep's with this wrong method, mmmmh guess its time to learn and move on. THX Guys!

If it's any help, I replace EMG batteries every 10 - 15 hours, so keep buying the batteries and start sticking them in your guitar instead! :D

But if you recording a line level (guitar) not mic? As far as i know phantom power doesn't travel down jack, or do you go mic in on your interface?

Phantom power needs a balanced cable right? And instrument cable is unbalanced. What to do?

Yep, that means your DI is doing nothing. DIs have a line out or through so you can still monitor with an amp while catching the DI signal.

So much facepalm stuff here.

Are you using a guitar with active pickups (eg. EMG's)?
- Change a new battery before the recording session, unplug the cable every time you don't play the guitar, the battery will last a good 3000 hours or so according to EMG.

Are you using an active DI box that can work on either batteries or phantom power (eg. BSS AR133 or Behringer DI100)?
- Connect the guitar to the input of the DI-box, then connect the output XLR of the DI box to the input of a microphone preamplifier and engage the +48V phantom power to the channel. If it is an external preamp, then route that output to a line input of your audio interface. Don't use a battery on the DI box.

3) Some DI-boxes have larger input level ranges (headroom) with phantom power than with battery (this can be found in specifications).