just got myself an active pickup

uhhehhahh

Jan 18, 2010
Just got myself an SD Blackout active pickup.

I wonder:

1. How often should I expect to change batteries? Of course it varies how often I use it, but lets say, an average of 1 hour a day of use.

2. Back in the days when I used a lot of pedals, I always pulled the plug out from the pedal in order to save the battery, is that something that is needed also with an active pickup? That is, pull out the tele plug from the socket of the guitar?

I've had Blackouts in one of my guitars for just over 12 months now, and it's still the same battery.
Granted, I have two other guitars, but I would estimate that on average over the course of that 12 months, the guitar with Blackouts gets about an hour a day of use (so basically, anything from playing it 5 hours in a day, or not playing it entirely for a day and playing one of the other guitars, but most of that time was spent with the guitar with Blackouts).
And yes you have to unplug it, but that shouldn't matter, since I'm sure 99.99 per cent of guitarists remove the lead after they finish playing, regardless of whether they use passives or actives, so don't stress about it.

And if you're only playing an hour a day, you're not practicing enough :p

Unplug the cable when not in use, it's good practice anyway since you dont want to fuck the connection up somehow like if the guit falls over or gets yanked unintentionally... when you have big dumb dogs this shit happens lol

I bought 2 9 volts a year ago, using the 2nd one now. so yeah, it'll be 6 months or so of average use.

Been playing for a long time, and I usually never unplug the guitar, unless switching between other guitars, and never had any accidents having the guitar plugged, but I understand, from a battery saving aspect, I need to do it.

Also good to know, expected life of a battery is at least around 6 months.

Thnx for the answers!