Pedals electricity

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
How do you guys power up you pedals in studio?
Do you use batteries for everything or do you use power supplies?
My actual setup for guitar is tuner -> TS -> ISP Decimator (sometimes)...
I read in the past that batteries give a cleaner signal when Power supplies add some noise in the signal
What do you think?

I use this. http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/powerstation/

Never had any issue with it, got 4 of my mates into using them as well and they're all very happy with them. For the price, it's a great unit. In fact, it's a great unit full stop.

Their after sales is also excellent. Spoke to one of their guys via e-mail at great length about an issue I was having with a pedal and he was very keen to find out the end result and was very helpful. Mailed me back rather quickly each time too. The issue was the pedal, not the supply.

Everything seems to ef with my signal.

Monitors, cables, guitar shielding, pedal power supplies, crap grounding etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to always use batteries for recording and gigging, because I'd heard they were better, and took it for granted.

More recently I built a mic-pre which runs off two 9v supplies. When I hooked it up to batteries in place of the wall-warts there was audibly more noise.

So clearly YMMV. :(

I could waffle about the technical factors involved, but in the end it depends on the circuit being powered, the particular PSU / batteries, and the EM environment.

It'd be quicker to just try the options for yourself.

Rechargeable batteries suck, though. Very nasty noise.

It might be noisy.
The only sure way to prevent noise is to isolate.

I think you'd be better off saving a few more quid and getting something a little higher in the food chain.