DI Boxes - Any benefits over plugging straight into interface?

schismatic

Kintsugi is coming
Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, UK
I currently track my guitars and bass directly into a Toneport UX2 via the 1/4" inputs.

Would I get any benefit using a DI box in front of this? (Or please correct me if I am completely mis-understanding the role of the DI box).

Toneport guitar inputs are Hi-Z so the benefit would be dependent not on the correct impendance (which is already correct), but rather on the overall signal coloring/transparency of the combo DI box + line input in your interface.

There is absolutely no need for a DI box in front of a Hi-Z input.

There is some benefits of good DI box, especially with average Hi-Z input with not optimal impedance or low maximum input level. With good Hi-Z there not much sense in DI box.

There is absolutely no need for a DI box in front of a Hi-Z input.

Totally dependent on the hardware in question. In this case, a good DI will help with added clarity among other small improvements.

NEED? Nah. But useful? Absolutely. I always put a DI in front of preamp regardless of Hi-Z or Low-Z input. This is because I don't own any REALLY good preamps that wouldn't justify the need for a DI.

There is some benefits of good DI box, especially with average Hi-Z input with not optimal impedance or low maximum input level. With good Hi-Z there not much sense in DI box.

This. If we were talking about some $3k Manley pre, not much you can do to improve that, but a Toneport UX2 WILL see improvement with a good DI box.

I`m using russian-made Digilab SPM-100 preamp (very popular inexpensive instrument/mic pre on post-Soviet space), it`s Hi-Z input is on par with BSS AR-133 DI box and cost less than BSS, no mic pre needed :)
But currently did not have a chance to compare against countryman.