DI boxes for guitar

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

Got a local band here who want to do a full-length. In the search to retain as much of their budget for them as I can, I suggested recording clean guitars at home then reamping them in the studio. So they can save cash while they're trying to get their performances spot on.

I'm wondering, what do you consider a good DI for guitars? Something that's a preamp/DI like those Sansamp bass boxes would be great... as long as it's transparent and doesn't degrade the signal too much.

Cheers.

I have a cheap Behringer Di box that has a 4x12 simulation. Even though they dont need the 4x12(it can be turned off) simulation it's pretty ok. Nothing special, but pretty good for its price.

I assumed that Re-amp units are DI's that work both ways. That is, theres a line level In (which is the instrument input for recording) , and a Line level out, which would be the jack you plug into the amp for Re-amping, in which case you would only need a Re-amp box...??
I'm pretty sure the Little Labs Red Eye that was disscussed here a few days ago is like that, judging by the pictures.

Nebulous said:
I assumed that Re-amp units are DI's that work both ways. That is, theres a line level In (which is the instrument input for recording) , and a Line level out, which would be the jack you plug into the amp for Re-amping, in which case you would only need a Re-amp box...??
I'm pretty sure the Little Labs Red Eye that was disscussed here a few days ago is like that, judging by the pictures.

There are a few like this, yes, but a traditional stand-alone reamp box doesn't double as a DI.

Any good box will do-- Countryman, radial, bss. Steer clear of the sansamp stuff as the point of those boxes is to color and the bypass isn't super transparent..... I would probably avoid tube stuff for the same reason.
The really cheap boxes are going to lack headroom so try avoid them if possible.

The Little Labs RedEye does double as a reamp and a D.I., fyi. The Radial Engineering J48 and JDI are also great, there's quite a few to choose from. The RedEye is what I'm getting, since it does both with one unit.

~006

If there isn't a reamp in the studio, I would go for a Radial JDI. It's the cheapest solution to D.I. and reamp in one unit. You just plug everything in backwards and it's a reamp. However, there are no knobs or anything to adjust the signal from the unit, so you have to fiddle with other things if it doesn't sound perfect right off the bat.

~006

DSS3 said:
The Radial J48 is considered pretty damn good, from what I've heard.

I own one and it rocks. Best DI for guitar out there, especially if you have active pickups. You'll get the full tone of the guitar, totally transparently, with no noise. It has a pass-thru which is great for monitoring through a POD or an amp during performance too!

J48 definitely sounds like what I'm after. Sad thing would be trying to get an equally transparent preamp to match. There's a fantastic Buzz Audio in the studio, but sadly that defeats the point of what we're trying to do with cutting costs. Will have to see if there's anything cost-effective to match it with.

Moonlapse said:
J48 definitely sounds like what I'm after. Sad thing would be trying to get an equally transparent preamp to match. There's a fantastic Buzz Audio in the studio, but sadly that defeats the point of what we're trying to do with cutting costs. Will have to see if there's anything cost-effective to match it with.

How about the RNP?

006 said:
If there isn't a reamp in the studio, I would go for a Radial JDI. It's the cheapest solution to D.I. and reamp in one unit. You just plug everything in backwards and it's a reamp. However, there are no knobs or anything to adjust the signal from the unit, so you have to fiddle with other things if it doesn't sound perfect right off the bat.

~006

I'm just wondering, since it doesn't say anything about the JDI being a reamp as well as DI, what stops the J-48 plugged in reverse to be the same thing?

Neither unit seems to have anything listed about being both in one.

You have to remember that if you want to capture 100% of what your amplifier would, you have to use a di-box with input impedance of 1 MOhm or higher.
IIRC Behringer di-boxes have input impedance of only about 240 or 350 kOhm.

My Samson S-Direct is good enough for it's price.

Moonlapse, check out page 11 of the manual, which can be found here. It clearly states how to use the JDI as a reamp device. :)

~006

Moonlapse said:
Hey guys,

Got a local band here who want to do a full-length. In the search to retain as much of their budget for them as I can, I suggested recording clean guitars at home then reamping them in the studio. So they can save cash while they're trying to get their performances spot on.

I'm wondering, what do you consider a good DI for guitars? Something that's a preamp/DI like those Sansamp bass boxes would be great... as long as it's transparent and doesn't degrade the signal too much.

Cheers.
i used to suggest this to bands.. i stopped after hearing the results of the first couple that followed the advice. not recording quality, but performance. it's amazing how many bands that don't have real studio experience working with a real producer don't seem to understand what is actually "tight" enough.