Difference Between and e.p and an l.p

Doom Monk

New Metal Member
Mar 13, 2004
Solitude, United Arab Emirates
Really whut is the difference i couldnt figure it out at all...i used to think that an e.p is like an official release but contains 5 or fewer tracks and an l.p is more but i have come across bands who dont do name their releases that way...anyways i know it may sound very stupid, but i really dont know the difference, can u guys please do inform me about it?

cheers

Well, they're originally from vinyl days. EP meant a 7" vinyl (about 15-20 minutes), and LP was the full 12" release (45 minutes ~). Now with CDs, they generally mean: CDS (1-3 songs, 10 or less minutes generally), EP (3-5 songs, around 20 minutes). LP being a full length release.

Doom Monk said:
Really whut is the difference i couldnt figure it out at all...i used to think that an e.p is like an official release but contains 5 or fewer tracks and an l.p is more but i have come across bands who dont do name their releases that way...anyways i know it may sound very stupid, but i really dont know the difference, can u guys please do inform me about it?

cheers

It's just the initials for the standard vinyl format that was there since the '50:
there was a single (one or two track, usually one per side), the Extended Playing (more than the standard single, from three to five-six songs) down to the Long Playing (full album).