Difference Between Bitrates!

Yes most of us rip our cd's to our pc bit to what bitrates ?

I rip al of my cd's to 192 kb/s. (mp3)
Allot of people rip @ 320 kb/s.. is that neccesary ? Can you really hear the difference ?

Some people i know even rip their cd's to wav!

Is their any difference that we can detect by ear between 320 kb/s mp3 and wav ?

!
Howdy Mendel. CD's are either aiff or wav files. We always rip mp3's to 320. 128 is poop 64 is mono :lol:
Try saving your next session as a 24bit and burn it on a DVD.... then listen to that thru your home theater system!!!! :headbang::headbang:

I know what you mean :D

But if you have 1000 cd's, wav format is quite huge.

wav album's are aprox. 600 mb.

1000 cd's x 600mb (wav) = 600.000 mb.

600.000 mb : 1000 = 600 gb.

So it's allot f spce.

Well at least the bright side of that is that hard drives are getting bigger and more affordable all the time so the reality of burning 1000 CD's of a personal collection to .wav is not that far fetched.

I know what you mean :D

But if you have 1000 Cd's, wav format is quite huge.

wav album's are aprox. 600 mb.

1000 cd's x 600mb (wav) = 600.000 mb.

600.000 mb : 1000 = 600 gb.

So it's allot f spce.

1000 Cd's at 10.00 each = 10,000 dollars in the US anyway. :heh:

I rip mostly to 192kbps MP3, but as time passes and hard drives get bigger, I find myself gradually bumping the bitrate up, so really anywhere between 192 and 320 depending on my mood. Some special albums get FLAC.

Honestly, if you have the space - I would just keep all your music in FLAC, and then just convert them down to mp3/m4a and just upload that to your ipod. Once their on the pod, just delete them off the HD. Gives you a fine copy for portable listening, but you'll still have the FLAC if you need to reference the cd quality, or reburn an album to disc.

Compression loss on 128kbps Mp3 is very annoying, without any doubt. Since I'm fast running out of space on my laptop (and I can't be arsed getting a portable HD), I've used 160kbps m4A to re-encode my 320kbps MP3s. "Blasphemy!" you say (coincidentally I'm listening to Morbid Angel's Blasphemy as I type), but I can't say I really can tell too much of a difference, besides now I can at least fit 2500+ songs on my 20GB iPod.