Dill's one-man band - boldly going nowhere, one riff at a time...

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
So, yeah, I do recordings of my riffs with my Line6 Guitarport, Leafdrums 2.2 and Adobe Audition. Mainly, I'm doing it to practice home recording/mixing, because I'm hoping to go study at the School of Sound Recording in Manchester in a couple of years (http://www.s-s-r.com) and I'd like to be a little bit ahead of the game when I get there. Also, I just like playing my own stuff, and in the absence of anyone to jam with, this is the only way I can get my ideas down for further development.

Anyway, the point of all this rambling is this - here's my latest effort - please listen, comment, insult, criticise, whatever.

http://www.geocities.com/philwhitehouse/demo8b.mp3

damn ... so this is what you can do nowadays with home equipment ... that sounded very "pro" ... good stuff :kickass:

Goddamn... I wish I had a sound like that. What drum sequencer/machine are you using?

edit: I did a sweet job of not even reading your post. Shit man, I had no idea that leafdrums could produce a sound like this...

Good riff mang, I dig it. :kickass:
lurch70 said:
damn ... so this is what you can do nowadays with home equipment ... that sounded very "pro" ... good stuff :kickass:
There is near zero reason to go to a studio anymore, seriously. My band does all our shit in my guitarist's bedroom for fook's sake.

One Inch Man said:
There is near zero reason to go to a studio anymore, seriously. My band does all our shit in my guitarist's bedroom for fook's sake.

You're totally right.. all of the non-digital stuff on the Noltem demo was recorded with a $45 instrument microphone, and even that sounds way better than a ton of stuff I've heard!

I made a pickup for my balalaika a few days ago and it rules. Well, it rules for something that cost less than $2, anyway.

Marksveld said:
Goddamn... I wish I had a sound like that. What drum sequencer/machine are you using?

edit: I did a sweet job of not even reading your post. Shit man, I had no idea that leafdrums could produce a sound like this...

Actually, the sounds straight out of Leafdrums was pretty shit... I replaced the kick sample with one I ripped from Murderdolls' 'Dead In Hollywood' to begin with. Then saved each part of the kit as a seperate wav, converted each wav to mono from stereo, stuck 'em each in a seperate track in Adobe Audition, and panned them in the stereo field how I wanted (kicks and snare center, toms spaced from middle-left to middle-right, cymbals spread around the outer edges of the mix). Then I faffed around with EQ and reverb on each part of the kit for a while, then submixed the whole drumkit through another parametric equalizer and some stereo compression, and that gave me a sound I'm fairly chuffed with. :)

In case anyone has trouble with the file being hosted on Geocities, here's another link - someone on the Andy Sneap forum kindly hosted the riff on their server for me.

http://www.mksstudios.com/demo8b.mp3

But anyway, yeah - thanks for the kind words! I shall be assailing y'all with more amateur riffage soon!