• EMG

Votes: 31 41.9%

• Total voters

jhrv

Mar 27, 2007
Help me here. The eternal question.

Guitar: RG470
Body: Basswood

Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan or EMG??? (bridge position)

Help me here. The eternal question.

Guitar: RG470
Body: Basswood

Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan or EMG??? (bridge position)

As soon as you tell me which is better, Blondes, Brunettes or Redheads. :lol:

At least give a description of what sort of sound you want. You've got to match a personal preference for tone; none of them are universally superior.

That being said - if you're just looking for a majority vote, I'll contribute by voting for Seymour Duncan!

Well, i have a Seymour Duncan JB, but in the RG470 sounds a bit thin and bright. I need a fuller sound for rhythms.

Well, i have a Seymour Duncan JB, but in the RG470 sounds a bit thin and bright. I need a fuller sound for rhythms.

Well, a JB has a very specific sound and alot of people consider them too bright. SD makes alot of other pickups that might suit you better. You might really like the Full Shred.

I personally don't like the sound of EMG's for much of anything. You'll surely find that I differ from most on the board in that respect.

How about these?

- SD SH-8 Invader

- Dimarzio D-Sonic

- EMG 85

I haven't tried nearly as many pickups as lots of folks on here, but if you want something kind of like a JB but a little less exagerrated you might want to check out a DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Erm, the SD is mids, mids, and more mids... the JB is pretty scooped. Unless by 'a little less exaggerated' you mean 'actually having mids... and tons of them' I don't see where you're going with that.

Jeff

What about trying the new blackout pickups. Im intersted in trying them.

Anyway my vote is for EMG 85.

Hmm... at the moment I'm thinking about getting rid of the EMG-set in my EC-1000. I really dig the 85 at the bridge, it's a great PU. But recently I pulled the EMG's out of my other guitar and I got an SH-5 and SH-1 for it and gosh, that Pickups sound great. Really rockish and crunchy.

Now I think about trying some other Pickups as well, which are a little more pure metal than the 85. The SH-6 is definitly on my list - but I also heard great things about the X2N.

What I wanted to say: Definitly check the SH-5 out!!!

Erm, the SD is mids, mids, and more mids... the JB is pretty scooped. Unless by 'a little less exaggerated' you mean 'actually having mids... and tons of them' I don't see where you're going with that.

Jeff

I think he was meaning exaggerated in the top end. The JB sounds shrill in a basswood guitar. On the flip side, it does sound great in Mahogany.

I think he was meaning exaggerated in the top end. The JB sounds shrill in a basswood guitar. On the flip side, it does sound great in Mahogany.

+1
JB was shrill in my basswood Jackson DKMGT, but works very well in my buddy's old Epi Les Paul.

Nowadays there are only two pickups by which I swear:
The SD Distortion (SH6) and SD Custom (SH5).

I think I'm going to choose the SH-6. any suggestion for the neck position?

Ah the question.

I will make my point of view about this debate very soon. I just bought a Jackson with a EMG707. I also own an Ibanez RG1527 with a JB and my guitarmate put a dsonic in his guitar. We will have these 3 guitars to choose from for this summer recordings.

As soon as my RME FF800 is coming I'll take DI tracks and post them for reamping. Just to share with you guys and compare to see how it sounds.

For the moment, in live situation, I thought that the JB was the one I prefered. The EMG is very agressive. On a 6505 it was too much for me. And on the dual recto the JB was still my favourite.