DiMarzio Titan

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
Any experiences?
I love emgs, fishmans, Duncan distortions.

Hate bkp aftermath, painkiller, dm crunchlab etc.

Will I like the Titans?

I demand ridiculously fast and tight tracking low end with clarity and punch in the mids and not a too fuzzy top end.
What pickups can these be compared to?

i have tried it in a 7 string, and its......ok. it almost has too much of a mid peak. its pretty tight but i find that it has a little bit too much twang when i go down to the lower notes and my lowest note is G. theres almost no thump to it, its all twang, im kinda considering trying something else. its not terrible but i definitely wanna know that im hitting a low note and not just a thin twang.

From that DI sounded with too much low-mids for me. I had to cut grate chunk to be usable for me.
pre_EQ.png

You can check result using TSE 808v.2 -> Thermionic 5 Serpent -> Catarsis fredman high pres-s
http://www.mediafire.com/download/no35dro1rta0io8/Dimarcio_titan_-_Thermionic_Serpent.wav

that was what i felt as well. i mean, they are designed for that new "progessive metal" 7 string, 8 string, 9 string guitar scene, but i think it might have been a little gimmicky. i had cash to burn and i was looking for a new pickup for my 7 string so i took a chance. i don't HATE it, but it's definitely a different animal. seems a little unbalanced to me. i might just go back to a dimarzio evolution. i've always loved those pickups and they've never steered me wrong.

thanks mate!

well, I've ordered two sets….maybe I was a bit too quick, lol.
I like the evolutions as well.
One of the sets will replace a set of BKPs, so that will definitely be an improvement…
The other one is a custom colour set for my fav guitar…so I might be stuck with that one…we'll see.

but I'm a bit scared now ;)

thanks mate!

well, I've ordered two sets….maybe I was a bit too quick, lol.
I like the evolutions as well.
One of the sets will replace a set of BKPs, so that will definitely be an improvement…
The other one is a custom colour set for my fav guitar…so I might be stuck with that one…we'll see.

but I'm a bit scared now ;)
Dimarzio has an awesome exchange policy. If you end up not liking them, they will take them back and mail you a different pickup of your choice. Just call technical support. Their customer service is top notch. I exchanged a 7 string Tone Zone for an Illuminator, last year.

i might just go back to a dimarzio evolution. i've always loved those pickups and they've never steered me wrong.

How would you compare the Evolution to the Titans?
I also own the Titans (will post a snippet soon) and I'm not pretty sure if I'll keep them. They are pretty dry and tight, but also a bit stiff and I'm missing something in the sound.

How would you compare the Evolution to the Titans?
I also own the Titans (will post a snippet soon) and I'm not pretty sure if I'll keep them. They are pretty dry and tight, but also a bit stiff and I'm missing something in the sound.
the titans have a "stiffness" in the low mids that is distracting, while the evolutions have a beautifully balanced mid range. i like a mid forward guitar sound and they just sit right in the pocket for me. its not too forward so that it takes away from the lows and the highs, it sits in there just nice enough to give you the boost you want but you still got enough highs and lows.

very tight. gets you that dead stop chunk on palm mutes instead a flabby thud. i still have yet to hear a pickup that fits me more than an evolution.