Bareknuckle Painkiller Clips (Recto, Über, Krank, 2203)

Interesting you would find it more suited to doom / sludge etc. I'm using the BKP (PK and NB) for tight, technical Metal and love them. I first heard about them from Sikth that are pretty far from Doom! A lot comes down to matching them with the right guitar, your playing technique and tweaking your settings etc. I guess.

Yeah, the Dimebucker is treble hell. It only sounds at least somewhat balanced in really heavy mahogany guitars without maple tops.

Dime never really used that one himself. The Bill Lawrence pups, especially the L-500 series, are so much better IMHO. It's a shame that they've fallen so much under the radar these days. They're still among my favourite pickups ever...

Interesting you would find it more suited to doom / sludge etc. I'm using the BKP (PK and NB) for tight, technical Metal and love them. I first heard about them from Sikth that are pretty far from Doom! A lot comes down to matching them with the right guitar, your playing technique and tweaking your settings etc. I guess.

That's why I was a bit shocked when I heard these clips. Every PK clip I've ever heard has been super-tight and stringy. That's what made me think he had his set pretty close to the strings. How far from the strings do you have yours?

On the bass side, mine is about 3.5 mm. Any closer than that and the bass frequencies get pretty overpowering and definitely fuzz things up a bit.

@Slashvanyoung : I have to completely agree, see my signature :)

He himself had the exact same guitar as mine from the same series (Dean Owner of Americas 2004, limited edition of 50 guitars he had #50). It came with crappy stock dean mikes but I upgraded like his, with BL500L and XL, and now it sounds really cool. The L in neck is creamy enough for my taste. I think it's one of the best sound/bucks ratio ever !