dimarzio x2n

wchuck

The HypnoToad
Oct 6, 2005
Germany
hi,

I'm going to buy some new pickups for my guitar and just remembered, that I once read here about the x2n pickup.
It's supposed to be a bridge pick-up, but an insider tip in the neck position.

is that true and what does it sound like?

thx

yes that could be, I wasn't sure...

I just found a video of the tonezone in the neck, but as it sees it doesn't give me that really creamy (and smooth) but full powerful lead tone I'm looking for.
But on the other hand I also want a strong and dark rhythm sound, which the tonezone offers.

Is there any pick-up that combines both

or can I take a lead-pickup for the neck (to get that sound I want) and a stagged tonezone (so in single-coil format) in the center position for the dark rhythm sound?

For rhythm sounds you should be using your bridge pickup. The X2N will fit that perfectly.

Romeo uses the X2N in the bridge and the Tone Zone in the neck.

Whose sound are you basing your desires on? Find out what pickup combinations they use and try it out. DiMarzio's website has great output and frequency response descriptions of their pickups. You can start there to find more of what you're looking for.

my current buildup is like this

=> Bridge : X2N
=> Center (SC) : Tonezone S
=> Neck : Breed Neck

but if you use the tonezone in the neck, maybe a Seymor Duncan SHR101, the Jackson SL-3 uses them and this guitar sounds great. (although the wood, etc... also strongly influence the tone)

I also have a question about the X2N. Does anybody have a recommendation for a pickup that has the same colour and characteristics as the X2N but not as much as output, loudness. I love the X2n but its just too exreme and wouldnt match my neck pickup. I am looking for a similar alternative. I am thinking Dimarzio but any other brands welcomed. Thanks

wchuck said:
how does the evolution (neck) sound?

and isn't it too quiet for the x2n?

well the evolution is a a mid level pup so it isn't as powerful as the X2N. But it sounds super awesome when i want to play something a bit cleaner or go at super sonic speed while sweping or something.

oh, yeah right.

Didn't thought about that. With a small output, you have cleaner sounds with less sidetones, especially during sweeping stuff etc, as you said.

rockmanxpr said:
The Jcustom and Prestige I bought come with the Blue Velvet single coil, seem to be a standard with the Prestige and custom models
My Ibanez isn't a JCustom, nor is it a prestige. But after many calculations and hours of pondering, I figured that these are the pickups I'm gonna drop in my RG-350EX:

Neck: PAF Joe
Middle: Pro-Track
Bridge: X2N

Any opinions on any of these pickups would be greatly appreciated.

The PAF Joe, I've never used, but I'm sure it's nice, because the kinds of pickups Joe Satriani usually goes for are lower in output, but much much fuller in overtones.

My formerly main guitar (which I used to until my pwn-tastic Vigier arrived) was/is equipped with an X2N in the bridge and a Norton (not an Air Norton, sorry Petrucci fanboys) in the neck. I found the Norton to be a very nice complement to the X2N and not overwhelming in any way, just very focused and very fat. Also, those two pickups seem to work well in most 5 way switching situations, you can get some REALLY nice bell-like strat tones from splitting either as well.

Also make sure you get 500k pots with those pickups, because the detail while rolling the volume down is amazing, can go from almost completely clean up to the full volume without any sacrifice in clarity at all.

wchuck said:
yes that could be, I wasn't sure...

I just found a video of the tonezone in the neck, but as it sees it doesn't give me that really creamy (and smooth) but full powerful lead tone I'm looking for.
But on the other hand I also want a strong and dark rhythm sound, which the tonezone offers.

Is there any pick-up that combines both

or can I take a lead-pickup for the neck (to get that sound I want) and a stagged tonezone (so in single-coil format) in the center position for the dark rhythm sound?

I just installed the Tone Zone in the neck and X2N in the bridge, and let me tell you.. the Tone Zone does sound creamy and smooth ! And with rythm it sounds nice and heavy, not to mention sweeping ! It is the perfect pickup for the neck lol.. and when you roll the volume down just a bit.. you go from this heavy blistering tone to a crunchy almost kiss sounding tone.. and the detail in how hard you hit the pick and how you hit it is unbelivable
What gave you the preception that the tone zone is too strong ? It isint.. it compliments my X2N very nicely ! An amazing pickup combination.. and you know what i noticed ? In the middle position where i have both the humbuckers on in series.. it has an almost acoustic like quality sound of which i was surprised to hear..
Go for it and hear it yourself :)