Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Seymour Duncan Invader

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Erik

New Metal Member
Oct 10, 2001
southernmost voyage
So I'm thinking of getting a new bridge humbucker for my guitar (which currently has an Ibanez V8 which is decent but not great) and the two that seem most interesting to me at the moment are the Seymour Duncan Invader and the DiMarzio X2N, so I thought I'd ask people here, who are generally much more knowledgeable than me, which is the "better" pickup.

I play thrash, black and doom metal mostly. I basically want lots of gain with good clarity in a passive pickup. Other suggestions than the above two are also appreciated.

X2N, no question. I use to be an EMG man, till I tried the X2N, now I have plans for all of my guitars to have X2N's.

I must comment though, I don't think they do the really bassy modern metal sounds ( BLS, In Flames, etc.) very well. But if you are looking for a more 80's metal sound. Like Bathory, Celtic frost, hellhammer, etc it NAILS it.

Gain comes mostly from your amp, but clarity is a whole different story. If you really want passive, my suggestion would be the Bill Lawrence X500 (not really sure on that model number, but I'm refering to the one Nuno Bettencourt used to have in his signature guitars). That pickup is very clear on those palm muted alternate picked stuff, plus it's a high output humbucker, if you really insist on that.

Indiooo said:
Gain comes mostly from your amp
Yeah, I meant "high output" I suppose.

paddok said:
I must comment though, I don't think they do the really bassy modern metal sounds ( BLS, In Flames, etc.) very well. But if you are looking for a more 80's metal sound. Like Bathory, Celtic frost, hellhammer, etc it NAILS it.
Definitely, the more 80's the better. Hehe. If I can get an 80's thrash sound out of it it's my pickup. :p

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions to all, seems I might be getting the X2N..?