Dimebag Darrel shot ...and dead

UNBELIEVABLE!! :OMG: I wonder who was behind all this madness, or if the gunman acted alone......Some pretty harsh things have been going around different members of other bands, as well as former members of bands. This is truely shocking!!! RIP to everyone who died last night :mad:

this is awful....a sad day for music. this tragedy is a reminder just how much we take for granted....life is too short. probably a good idea to use this holiday season to reconnect with those from our past. RIP Dime. you will be missed, but the music and your influence to other players lives on.

This morning I was cleaning out a stack of old junk mail and magazines and came across the most recent newsletter from the Station Family Fund (http://www.stationfamilyfund.org/). I re-read a little article on one of the survivors from the fire, so I had that whole tragedy on my mind on my drive to work. Of course I get to work and boot up the computer to see that Dimebag has been shot and killed. So we now have two major metal night club tradgedies within 2 years. Very sad. This hits so close to home. My condolences go out to the families of all 5 of the victims.

Nopes Harry, Pat is very much alive thankfully. The rest of Damageplan issued a statement on the shooting

DAMAGEPLAN TRAGEDY UPDATE

BAND ISSUES STATEMENTS

As has been widely reported in the media, Elektra/Atlantic recording group Damageplan suffered a horrible tragedy at their show in Columbus, Ohio on Wednesday night. Guitarist Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed, as was the band’s head of security, Jeffrey “Mayhem” Thompson, an employee of the club, Erin Halk, and a member of the audience, Nathan Bray. Chris Paluska, a member of the band’s management team who was serving as tour manager, was shot and is in critical but stable condition. John “Kat” Brooks, the band’s drum tech, was also shot and is being released from the hospital today.

Damageplan made the following statements today:

“With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, DIME will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART!! Twice as big as the state of TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!! DIME gave it all everyday to each and every one of us and our lives have forever been hollowed without him...Thanks to all of you for reaching out to us in this time of our immeasurable loss. REST IN PEACE BROTHER DIME!!!!!!”

- Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul, brother of Dimebag Darrell

“Jeffrey "Mayhem" Thompson was not just a true part of the Damageplan family, but part of the whole Dallas music scene. He was friend to all, with a great personality. He bent over backward to help us all with his trademark phrases like "What can I do for you sir?" and "Coming up!" He also stated his willingness to protect us, saying "I'd take a bullet for ya," and unfortunately did in defense of our lives. He truly lived and died for his friends and made the ultimate sacrifice, giving his life to save ours. For this we will never forget. You will be missed big man.”

- the Damageplan family

RIP Dimebag :erk:

Tragic. I heard it from a friend and just could not believe it. More shocking to me was that people actually thought it was part of the show. I can't even imagine that kind of thought process.

And I am scared that bands will think twice before interacting with fans on and off stage. Even at smaller venue shows they go through your bag and search the guys. Pretty soon we're gonna need a metal detector to get a quart of milk at 7-11.

Chris_Broderick said:
Rest in Peace Dimebag.

He was a huge influence in my playing, and will be greatly missed.
Chris.

This royally sucks!!! My band paid tribute to Dime last night by opening the show with the outro riff to "Domination". It was touching yet heavy. Sheer metal perfection, man.
RIP, DIMEBAG!! You will be genuinely missed...

Here in Brazil, the biggest press company, Globo, which owns TV stations, radio station and newspaper, showed Dimebag as a drug addict preaching hate and violence. Arnaldo Jabor, one of their commentarists, said that heavy metal glorifies noise and hate, with concerts that become black masses, looking like fastcist reunions. He said a lot more, so...What you think?

Roddoliver said:
Here in Brazil, the biggest press company, Globo, which owns TV stations, radio station and newspaper, showed Dimebag as a drug addict preaching hate and violence. Arnaldo Jabor, one of their commentarists, said that heavy metal glorifies noise and hate, with concerts that become black masses, looking like fastcist reunions. He said a lot more, so...What you think?

i think that's a typical response from an ignorant prick in the media. just goes to show how much heavy metal is still misunderstood and maligned all over the world. i
i'll bet the same guys think John Lennons death was a huge tragedy but Dimebags death was just another violent act caused by heavy metal, even though they both died in similar circumstances.

make me even sicker :yuk:

Funny you say that Power, I was at work today and a guy had a Pantera hat on , we got to talking and he said exactly the same thing. No one blamed the music for the death, they put the blame where it squarely belonged ...on the shooter Mark Chapman.

It is astonishing that this Nathan Gale has been described as being completely unbalanced, so much so, people and old friends in his town would steer clear of him or tell him to hit the bricks. But the media, while acknowledging his insanity, STILL BLAMES the music or the innocent deceased man who had no business being dead at such a young age.

Yea we can sit here and say well that's the ignorant for ya, blame it all on heavy metal ......but it's all we ever do. How many times can it be said? I'm getting damed tired of saying it. Some of the smartest people I know listen to heavy metal. Not one of us here are ignorant and yet it is how we are portrayed over and over again.

The media and corporate America doesn't mind now using metal songs to sell us their merchandise (since some of us are at the age of making major SUV or other similar purchases.) Ozzy has been vilified in the US press and now he is a media darling.
But still...... heavy metal is evil.

How stupid someone as smart as Peter Jennings would actually take the blame away from the murderer and put it on the one murdered. I bet he didn't blame Laci Peterson for marrying a psychopath.

Ok I'm mad, and my tirade could go on for hours but I know you all agree with me so no sense preaching to the choir.

Force10 said:
This morning I was cleaning out a stack of old junk mail and magazines and came across the most recent newsletter from the Station Family Fund (http://www.stationfamilyfund.org/). I re-read a little article on one of the survivors from the fire, so I had that whole tragedy on my mind on my drive to work. Of course I get to work and boot up the computer to see that Dimebag has been shot and killed. So we now have two major metal night club tradgedies within 2 years. Very sad. This hits so close to home. My condolences go out to the families of all 5 of the victims.
I appreciate your comment, because I live in Rhode Island and used to frequent The Station, where the fire happened during Great White's show. :cry: Since the fire, it has been really tough for hard rock and metal bands in this area (unless they play that trendy hardcore rap-metal shite). After the Station burned down, Lupo's, which was probably the biggest rock club around, got kicked out of their space by a landlord who wanted to put in some upscale condos. The club made an agreement to rent spage from a teeny-bopper dance club, but could only use the space until, like, ten or eleven PM. Then, the owner of another club in the area was hit by some dumb@$$ driving on the wrong side of the highway to escape the cops. This was particularly bad because his club is one of very few in the area that isn't monopolized by cover bands.

Anyway, I'm rambling here a bit, but my point is, rock music, and particularly metal, has suffered some major blows already, and as you guys pointed out, the mainstream media in this country is not likely to help the situation, to say the least. Which is even more of a slap in the face when you consider the tragedy we have just faced. I was only marginally interested in Pantera, but as a guitarist, I could definitely appreciate what Dimebag did. I wish the media could focus a bit on his contribution to music, but we all know that probably won't happen, because our media reporting is done by and for ignorant, culturally illiterate yuppie morons who mostly seem to view music as disposeable, like everything else promoted as pop culture! :erk:.... I'm not bitter..... really, I'm not! :loco: