Dimebag Darrell dead!

dime.jpg
DimebagDarrellRIP.jpg

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3983630/detail.html

Apparently, he and one other member of Damage Plan were shot at the Columbus, Ohio show tonight. Weird, and sad.

This whole thing came as a huge shock to me. Pantera were one of my main inspirations in my early days and they were definitely one of the deciding factors for my interest in metal. Dimebag Darrel's lead playing was an indispensible asset to my development as a guitarist and I'm sure it was the same way with a lot of other players out there. He will be missed.

Anyone heard Howard Stern?

We played at that venue, as a pre show before Milwaukee Metalfest 02. Its ez to be a sitting duck in that venue. They said they had a median up, but anyone can jump on that stage. That was the show where Vogg from Decapitated didnt get his guitar in from Poland, it was lost and we lent Bjorns back up RG Ibanez series guitar to him for their first show on US soil. Then Bjorn broke a string and had no set up backup guitar, go figure. I can totaly picture this happening now. I have some pictures of Dimebag at the Zia Records on 19th ave in Phoenix, AZ, ill scan it up. Anyone see Satyricon on the billboard sign of the venue on ever footage the news have of the venue?

INCANTATION, IMPALED, DECAPITATED, VEHEMENCE, and DEAD TO FALL

Jul. 25 2002 - Columbus, OH @ Al Rosa Villa

Yeah I heard about what happened to Dimebag Darrel right after I got home from band practice, you can read and watch more of it on this link.

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/3983630/detail.html

I met him several times, and got the opportunity to hang out with him for some hours and some minutes each time Pantera or Damangeplan came through Hollywood, CA, or Phoenix, AZ. It's a very sad day in metal. Take it from me, he was an awsome guy, from my time spent with him. -John

Dimebag Darrell, guitarist for Pantera and Damageplan, was one of at least four people fatally wounded during a bizarre shooting at a concert in Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday night.

According to Columbus NBC affiliate NBC4, Dimebag —

spacer.gif

w120906A.jpg

real name Darrell Abbott — was among the fatalities resulting from the incident, which occurred during a Damageplan performance at the Alrosa Villa in Columbus. Authorities did not release the names of any of the other fatalities to NBC4. Columbus police told MTV News that the gunman killed four people and wounded two before being shot and killed by a police officer.

One witness told the NBC affiliate that a man jumped onto the stage during the first song of the band's set and began firing a gun. According to the witness, the man fired several shots at the band before being tackled by club security. One of the survivors is in critical condition at a local hospital, while another is in fair condition.

"A Columbus police officer, when he arrived, engaged the shooter, and the shooter is also dead, and if the officer hadn't acted when he did and how he did, we'd probably be looking at more dead, because this guy was actively shooting," Sergeant Brent Mull, a public information officer, told MTV News.

"We have 200-plus patrons that we have sequestered inside three city buses," Sergeant Mull explained. "We are interviewing them one by one. The ones that were inside and witnessed this ran for their lives and were in fear for their lives. They are victims too, and we want to take care of them."

As news of Dimebag's bizarre and tragic demise rippled through the metal community, the news was met with shock and sadness.

"I'm speechless," former Rob Zombie/ Ozzy Osbourne bassist Rob "Blasko" Nicholson said. "This is totally unreal. Dimebag is a f---ing legend and this is total bullsh--."

"This is insane and this is beyond travesty," Killswitch Engage frontman and former Damageplan tour partner Howard Jones said. "This is beyond anything I've ever heard. This shouldn't happen in or outside of the rock and metal community. He will be missed and mourned as a person, as a musician, and as a friend."

— Robert Mancini and Ryan J. Downey

I just read the news. Pantera was one of the first metal bands I ever got into. Good gateway band. He will definantly be missed.

Today everyone blast "Domination" in reverence.

Crankin' Pantera at this hour...RIP Darrel...because of you man I started playing guitar. Rock out with chuck, randy, quorthon, and the rest of the metalgods in the afterlife. RIP

i frequented that club quite often during my college years and never saw any issues.

this sucks. I saw them 102 times and I will always have this cool photo to look at. I took it of pantera at an instore signing which I later got signed by them all in 1992. :erk:

VEHEMENCE said:
Anyone heard Howard Stern?
was litening this morning one the way to school but fell asleep
already replyed to this post on the nevermore board, wasn't a damage plan nor big pantera fan (witht he exception of a few songs) but still it sucks and am upset about it
atleast he was doing what he loved when he went down

The metal community has lost one of its greats. This is a very sad situation, I mean can you imagine what Vinnie was thinking when he saw his brother get shot down? One of the saddest moments in the history of metal. RIP Dimebag

Anyone think phil was stupid enough to have someone kill him?

And what about Cameras? Surely a fan or roadie was recording the show...

yes i do think phil is stupid enough to do that, fucking junkie
as for the cameras . . . . i heard someone was videotaping . . .

Blabbermouth.net, Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. reports that loud music made it hard to hear the last words of a man who jumped on stage and killed Damageplan guitarist Dimebag Darrell and three other people at a concert Wednesday night before being shot and killed by a police officer, Ohio police said.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARREL

A police official said witnesses heard someone accuse Darrell of breaking up his former band, Pantera. Police are not sure if the speaker was the gunman or a fan.

Witnesses said the man jumped an eight-foot security fence and was being followed through the crowd by security before the shooting. "He's playing the guitar and (the gunman) just went right up to him," witness Jim Climer said. "He started blowing his brains out, basically. Dimebag was still playing. He didn't know what was going on, and that's when he hit the ground."

A police officer shot and killed the gunman, identified as Nathan Gale, 25, a man with a minor arrest record in his hometown of Marysville, Ohio. He was pulled over for driving on a suspended license last month. Police spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified the gunman as Gale. She said there was no information on a motive or if he had any connection to the band.

"(The gunman) came on stage, from the back, like he knew what he was doing and went straight to Dimebag Darrell immediately," an unidentified witness said.

A transcript of the press conference with Columbus, Ohio Sgt. Brent Mull discussing the shooting accident has been posted at CNN.com.

Also, according to RollingStone, the gunman alarmed the club's workers before the gig, according. "He was hanging around trying to get in," manager Rick Cantella said. "We told him ... that he had to pay to get in like anyone else. One of my loaders told him to leave ... He was hanging around trying to talk to the members of the band, and he was shooed away." Just before the show, Nathan Gale, 25, jumped an eight-foot fence to get inside, and headed straight for the stage. "There were guys chasing him as soon as he got in," explained Cantella, "not because [they saw] he had a gun, but because he jumped this fence and didn't pay."

During the gunfire, a local nurse in the audience, twenty-eight-year-old Mindy Reece, stepped in to aid Abbott. "The one thing that stands out in my mind was I could see Vinnie [Paul] stand up from behind the drums and look down...He had this look on his face like, 'Oh my fucking God.'" said Reece, a Pantera fan since the age of thirteen. With the help of another audience member, she performed CPR on Abbott for several minutes until the paramedics arrived. "I kept saying, 'Dimebag, come on, come on please, stay with me,'" she recalls. "It was bad ... There was blood on the floor."

MORE NEWS, UPDATED DEC 10TH

COLUMBUS, Ohio Dec 10, 2004 — Even at the tattoo parlor, 25-year-old Nathan Gale made people uneasy, staring and locking them into conversations about heavy metal music. But no one pegged the semi-pro football player who psyched himself up before games by piping thrash-rock legends Pantera into his headphones as the type to go on a shooting rampage.

Police say they may never know why Gale charged the stage at a heavy metal show and gunned down four people, including former Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, one of metal rock's most revered guitarists.

Some witnesses said Gale began his rampage by yelling out accusations that Abbott broke up Pantera, one of the most popular heavy metal bands of the 1990s. Sgt. Brent Mull said police had not verified those reports. "We may never know a motive for this, unless he left a note," Mull said.

Abbott, 38, left Pantera with his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, to form the band Damageplan, which had just begun its first song at the club Alrosa Villa on Wednesday night when Gale dodged two band members, grabbed Darrell Abbott and shot him at least five times in the head.

"He grabbed Dimebag with one hand and shot him with the other," said Kevin Minerd, among the 500 people packed into the smoke-filled nightclub to see Abbott's new band.

In less than five minutes, Gale had shot three others, including Erin Halk, 29, a club employee who loaded band equipment; fan Nathan Bray, 23, of nearby Grove City; and Jeff Thompson, 40, a bodyguard for the band.

Two people employed by the band, Chris Paluska and John Brooks, were in Riverside Hospital on Friday morning with Paluska listed in good condition and Brooks in serious condition.

An imposing figure, Gale was on the offensive line for the semi-pro Lima Thunder in northwest Ohio, coach Mark Green said Thursday. Gale listened to Pantera on headphones before games during his one season with the team, Green said.

"You wouldn't look at him and think he was capable of doing something like this," Green said. "It wasn't like he was a loner."

A teammate, James Patterson, 31, said when he last spoke with Gale in October, he was laying sod for a landscaping company in Marysville, where Gale kept an apartment.

"I'm just stunned," Patterson said. "I can't even describe how he could have done something like this."

Gale made workers and customers uneasy at the Bears Den Tattoo Studio in Marysville, 25 miles northwest of Columbus, where he stared at people and forced them into conversations, manager Lucas Bender said.

"He comes in here and likes to hang out when he's not wanted," Bender said. "The most pointless conversations."

A tattoo artist at the studio, Bo Toler, said Gale was at the studio Wednesday between 5 and 6 p.m. Gale asked about having the studio order tattoo equipment for him and Toler said he told him no. Gale then got very angry and started yelling at him, he said.

"Last night was actually the first time I noticed his temper," Toler said on Thursday. "After the argument we had he kind of walked out with an attitude. He didn't even say goodbye."

Gale had red hair cut very close, often wore a winter hat and was always wearing a Columbus Blue Jackets hockey jersey, said Mandi Dellinger, who works at a cell phone store on the same block where Gale lives. Police said Gale was wearing the jersey during the shooting.

Dellinger said she used to say hello to Gale but they never had a conversation. "He seemed like a nice guy. He just seemed shy," Dellinger said.

Gale had several minor run-ins with police since 1997, but wasn't considered a troublemaker, Marysville assistant police chief Glenn Nicol said.

Gale ate two or three times a week at Maggie's Restaurant across an alley from his apartment, waitress Emi Walden said. He would stay to chat after eating and seemed lonely, Walden said.

"There was something odd about him, not like he would be dangerous to you, just something about him that wasn't right," she said.

Gale mentioned he was in the Marines but wouldn't talk specifics, Walden said. Messages left with several military public affairs offices trying to confirm his service were not immediately returned.

No one answered the door Thursday at the Marysville home of Gale's mother, Mary Clark. A message left on her cell phone was not immediately returned.

Despite a drizzle and temperatures in the 40s, more than 200 people turned up for a vigil Thursday night in the club's parking lot.

Shawn Sweeney, 22, played "old-school Pantera" on an acoustic guitar and a half-dozen young men held a blue tarp over his head and sang along.

"This is beautiful, this is absolutely beautiful," Sweeney said, referring to the growing crowd.

At one point, a naked young man stood in the middle of the street, arms raised, repeatedly cursing Gale. The crowd cheered boisterously, and the man took off in a full sprint across the parking lot as four police officers gave chase.

He was soon tackled and a man in the crowd yelled out, "We got your bond, dude!" as the streaker was led off in handcuffs.

Associated Press writers John Seewer in Toledo, Andy Resnik in Marysville and Carrie Spencer in Columbus contributed to this report.

yeh, id like ot hear what phil has to say

by the way, does anyone know teh name of the video wylde did with dime? i think it was called blues brothers not sure...