Dimmu Borgir question

ICS Vortex was the lead singer on Arcturus' last album, named Sideshow Symphonies. There are very few growls; mostly the vocals are his incredible cleans that are (as mentioned already in this topic) underused in Dimmu Borgir. Dimmu songs that have great examples of his vocals are "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" and "The Serpentine Offering," both of which were used as singles and have videos (viewable on YouTube). I love Vortex's clean vox and I do wish that Dimmu would do a song or two that bring them to the forefront. I wish that Arcturus would not have broken up because it would have been amazing for them to tour here in the States so I can see Vortex live and hear his vocals as the main attraction.

Cool Dimmu Songs,

Kings Of The Carnival Creation, Puritania, Sympozium for Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia

Mourning Palace, Spellbound (By The Devil) from Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

don't have time to do more, maybe later...

Are there any songs in particular that anyone can recommend? Even if I can't find an entire CD maybe I can at least get a couple of songs I could like.

From Dimmu, try the following for some good examples of Simen's vocals:

"The Insight and the Catharsis" <--- the ending of this one is particularly great for getting "Simen-ized" :)
"Reptile"
"Kings of the Carnival Creation"
"Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" (check out the video for this one, it's quite good)
"Arcane Lifeforce Mysteria" (more Simen toward the end again)

"A Succubus In Rapture" -- beautiful downtempo song, some low but smooth vox (from Shagrath, I guess)

"Fear and Wonder" and "Perfection Or Vanity"...which have no vox at all (but which rule. :))

I used to hate growly vox, and in fact, I was brought on board the WREKage radio crew at WREK-FM because I wasn't into them....and then a funny thing happened on the way to the air-studio: I was taken in by the very music I was supposed to be supplanting! :heh:

From Dimmu, try the following for some good examples of Simen's vocals:

"The Insight and the Catharsis" <--- the ending of this one is particularly great for getting "Simen-ized" :)
"Reptile"
"Kings of the Carnival Creation"
"Progenies of the Great Apocalypse" (check out the video for this one, it's quite good)
"Arcane Lifeforce Mysteria" (more Simen toward the end again)

"A Succubus In Rapture" -- beautiful downtempo song, some low but smooth vox (from Shagrath, I guess)

"Fear and Wonder" and "Perfection Or Vanity"...which have no vox at all (but which rule. :))

I used to hate growly vox, and in fact, I was brought on board the WREKage radio crew at WREK-FM because I wasn't into them....and then a funny thing happened on the way to the air-studio: I was taken in by the very music I was supposed to be supplanting! :heh:

I will definitely look into those songs and videos.Thanks for the help!!!

I hope you're a fan of Opeth. If not and you want to hear some awesome clean vocals, check out Damnation, their non-metal progressive/acoustic release. Very melancholy and relaxing, but also very awesome as well. They are normally a progressive death metal band (that does mix the cleans in as well for great moments).

I have heard of Opeth but don't know anything by them

Well, why didn't ya say so? :)

1. Go out and get their CD Blackwater Park.
  2. Put track #3, "Harvest," on. It has all smooth, sung vocals.
  3. Put track #4, "The Drapery Falls," on. It starts out with smooth vocals, has a crunchy center (with growls), and has a smooth ending. It's like a growl sandwich. :)
Attendees of ProgPower USA 1.0 in Lansing, IL might vaguely remember this exact sequence of songs emerging from the PA at JJ Kelley's between two of the bands...before Blackwater Park was officially released, as I recall. It was kinda my way of sneaking some growls into the ProgPower psyche, neatly wrapped in Mikael Akerfeldt's glorious smooth vox. :lol:

As Palabra de Dios mentioned, their CD Damnation has no growls at all, and is recommended. You were asking about a mix of styles, though....

Well, why didn't ya say so? :)

1. Go out and get their CD Blackwater Park.
  2. Put track #3, "Harvest," on. It has all smooth, sung vocals.
  3. Put track #4, "The Drapery Falls," on. It starts out with smooth vocals, has a crunchy center (with growls), and has a smooth ending. It's like a growl sandwich. :)
Attendees of ProgPower USA 1.0 in Lansing, IL might vaguely remember this exact sequence of songs emerging from the PA at JJ Kelley's between two of the bands...before Blackwater Park was officially released, as I recall. It was kinda my way of sneaking some growls into the ProgPower psyche, neatly wrapped in Mikael Akerfeldt's glorious smooth vox. :lol:

As Palabra de Dios mentioned, their CD Damnation has no growls at all, and is recommended. You were asking about a mix of styles, though....

Just listened to both songs from Blackwater Park.I definitely am interested in hearing more from this band.I'm going to put them in my Pandora rotation today!!!

Opeth is a must. As for Simen, just get the Arcturus shipwrecked in oslo dvd and you will not be dissappointed, great live recording and Simen is a one of a kind vocalist and is spot on. I love the Borknagar cds he was on, but I prefer the Borknagar with Vintersorg, but I highly reccomend anything with Vintersorg. Vintersorg's cds are my favorite and the music is just one of a kind to my ears and you can't beat visions from the spiral generator and the focusing blur wih Asgeir Mickelson on drums and Steve Digiorgio on bass.

My reccomendations, just get the Arcturus dvd if you enjoy Simen's vocals, and get any of the Vintersorg cds(odemarkens son, cosmic genesis, visions from the spiral generator, focusing blur, solens rotter), as they are all absolutely brilliant and wonderful. Emperor is also a must, but equilibrium and prometheus being the ones with more clean vox, and Ihsahn's solo cds are great, but I prefer those 2 Emperor cds. You also can't forget Edge of Sanity crimson 1 and 2(even though mainly growls, you can't go wrong when Swano does cleans, and Akerfeldt from Opeth also does a little part on crimson 1). If you really want to hear one of the best black metal projects(at least in my ears), check out Diabolical Masqeurade(which is Blackheim from Katatonia, with Swano also helping out with clean vox and drums), and all 4 of the Diabolical Masqeurade's are great, but Death's Design is the best one, at least the one with some clean vox on it in some standout moments.