Question about early Dimmu Borgir....

Morningrise

...I am just thin air...
Jul 12, 2001
Austin
Visit site
Well the first two Dimmu Borgir Albums (For All Tid and Stormblast) are my favorite albums by them. They are much darker, more atmospheric, and in my opinion better to listen to than the others. Though I love the newer stuff, I like the more melancholic sound of the earlier albums better. So I have a question, can any of you guys think of any bands, or albums that are similar to the sound displayed on the earlier Dimmu Borgir Albums? I would really appreciate the help, thanks a lot!

Eeek. That's a hard one. I love their first 2 as well. Stormblast is nice and slow, almost opethy/early borknagarish.

Hmm.. maybe Mactatus? But that's more EDT style..

Dimmu Borgir's progression was interesting, and they became better musicians, but their style changed. So I listen to old or new, depending on the mood I'm in.

But for some reason, I compare Emperor with Dimmu Burgir.. I have no idea why, they were always played at the same time on the radio.

And to me bands like Emperor flatten them with the complexity and musicianship that Dimmu Burgir end up boring me easily.

Sorry, this wasn't very helpful...

What about early Dismal Euphony???

/shrug

yes For All Tid and Stormblåst are my favorite albums by Dimmu Borgir as well, although i think that the newest is very good too, so i don't call them commercial or whatever now. they changed their style yes, but i still like them. oh well i think that's not the topic of this forum :rolleyes:
to your question, unfortunately i don't know any bands that sound like early Dimmu Borgir, but would be interesting to know.

by the way, Emperor rules, oh well i guess you have already noticed that i like them :D

Here are a few albums in that vein that you may dig:

Ulver-Bergtatt
Old Man's Child-Born of The Flickering
Vinterland-Welcome My Last Chapter
Kampfar is also sort of similar, and very good...
Catamenia
Thalarion

All of these should offer you at least something you enjoy in similar ways you would Dimmu's earlier stuff.

Originally posted by TheEmperor
yes For All Tid and Stormblåst are my favorite albums by Dimmu Borgir as well, although i think that the newest is very good too, so i don't call them commercial or whatever now. they changed their style yes, but i still like them. oh well i think that's not the topic of this forum :rolleyes:
to your question, unfortunately i don't know any bands that sound like early Dimmu Borgir, but would be interesting to know.

by the way, Emperor rules, oh well i guess you have already noticed that i like them :D

Heehee! I like em too! Lesbe friends!!:)

Limbonic Art are comparable to Opeth in song length, each song is between 8 and 10 minutes. They're primarily black metal, in vocals, music, and atmospere. Not particulary complicated, kinda melodic, great keyboard work makes them stand out. The lead singer sang on Zyklon's "World ov Worms", but has since left the band. Limbonic are on Samoth's label, forgot the name.

sOUNDS INTERESTING, BUT THE VOCALS IN zYKLON ARE WHAT i LIKE LEAST ABOUT THE BAND. iN SONGS, LIKE hAMMER rEVALATIONS, WHEN THE VOCALS ARE HIGH, THEY AREN'T TO BAD, BUT IN MOST OTHER SONGS, THERE'S AN ELEMENT ABOUT HIS VOICE THAT i JUST DON'T LIKE/

I just looked up to see that I've had caps lock on...

:(

Sorry, but I can't be bothered changing...

Ethereal Sage:

A lot actually.

Limbonic Art's vocalist sounds totally different on their own albums than on the Zyklon album.

I got Epitome of Illusions just based on the great keyboard work on Symphony in Moonlight and Nightmares but the keyboard melodies sucked on every track besides the one I had already heard. Suffice to say that I was pissed.