Dimmu Borgir's FOR ALL TID

I've got all of their CDs, and yes, For All Tid is a very atmospheric album, rather good I must admit. "Under Korpens Vinger", "Glittertind" og "Over Bleknende Blåner Til Dommedag" are very good, symphonic songs with a very cold and grim feeling. It's much more simplistic and raw than the polished DCA, and the musicianship isn't that good (that adds to the charm of the CD, I think). It sounds more spontaneous and mysteric, though. Check it out!

Thanks for your review!

I have to admit, I thought their new stuff was pretty epic after watching their video on Headbanger's Ball, and I've of course heard of them before. Some people, I guess, refuse to label them Black Metal, like Cradle Of Filth. But I really don't care much about labels. It's all heavy metal, different in it's ways.

From what you've said about this CD, it sounds like it has a Bathory feel to it. Raw, atmospheric, and evil.

i find for all tid rather dull and uninteresting, i might add that i'm not a huge fan of their later work even though i prefer it compared to the earlier.

speaking of for all tid, what on earth is that spoken stuff meant to be at the end on some of the first songs of the album? it's something like "baak en sten eller en gammel busk, sitter X ok venter" could someone with a bit more knowledge of norweigan please explain :)

For me there are 3 era in the dimmu borgir albums :

- First era : For all tid & stormblast :
"Evil", raw sound near from the essence of the old school black metal. Simple songs structure, many atmospheric parts.

- The second era : Enthroned... + Godless savage (i know it s not a true album) :
They begin to have more money so they work more on the production. The result is a better sound. The compositions are nearly similar to the beginning albums, quite "simple". With their new label and a more "popular" sound they got more opportunities to interest more people

- Third era : Spiritual... + Puritannica... + Death cult... :
They find their own sound and way of composition due to a huge work in production. The songs are more sophisticated and complex. You can add a big work of promotion of the label.

I like all the eras of Dimmu Borgir, and they are all different, they are a testimony of an evolution (good or bad is another debat). It s very hard for me to have a top 3 albums, it s depend of my feeling of the moment, but i think that the more representative are : Puritanica + Enthroned + Stormblast

spaffe said:
speaking of for all tid, what on earth is that spoken stuff meant to be at the end on some of the first songs of the album? it's something like "baak en sten eller en gammel busk, sitter X ok venter" could someone with a bit more knowledge of norweigan please explain :)

Track number 4, Stien:

"Kanskje bak en sten, eller bak en gammel busk, sitter fortsatt ..hmmmm.. og venter"

It's very strange indeed - but Silenoz posted it on the Dimmu Borgir forum once, so I guess we'd better believe him :tickled:

henrikmain said:
Track number 4, Stien:

"Kanskje bak en sten, eller bak en gammel busk, sitter fortsatt ..hmmmm.. og venter"

It's very strange indeed - but Silenoz posted it on the Dimmu Borgir forum once, so I guess we'd better believe him :tickled:

hm ok... :)

perhaps it's part of a joke among the band members that they felt they had to include, it's not very solemn or coherent with the rest of the album anyway hehe

Overlord Purple Rainbow said:
The cover was originally black and white?

yes, the non colour version was released by no colours records :loco:

album6.jpg

henrikmain said:
Hmmmm.. Call me a wimp, untr00, or whatever, but I'm still not too keen on No Colours Records, considering 95% of the bands on that label are NS :erk:

yeah that's pretty lame, fortunately, perhaps one could say, i haven't heard any good stuff that's been released by them, which means i haven't supported them. but i do listen to some "nazi"-bands, and support by purchasing their cds, like burzum and marduk, i'm aware that it's a bit of a double standard since i hate nazis and nazisim, but it works as long as the message in the lyrics isn't too blatant ;) it's mainly the music i'm after

I like For All Tid, but it's uneven. It has some very good songs and some boring ones. The new verison looks gay with those colours, but it's good that one also gets the Inn i Evighetens Morke-tracks which are both great.